Ticking 340

-

70orangeswinger

Reaction score
My 68 Dart had a lifter tick. I replaced the rockers, rocker shafts, push rods and lifters and still a tick from more than 1 cylinder. The motor runs fine and I didn't see any major wear on the cam but it still ticks. Is it the cam? What's left? I put 39 weight oil in but it didn't help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

is the engine fresh? or did this start out of the blue? also what engine are we talking about here? /6, SB, BB?

My 68 Dart had a lifter tick. I replaced the rockers, rocker shafts, push rods and lifters and still a tick from more than 1 cylinder. The motor runs fine and I didn't see any major wear on the cam but it still ticks. Is it the cam? What's left? I put 39 weight oil in but it didn't help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you replaced all of that without a change I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Have you checked for an exhaust leak?

I had a really strange noise once in a 273 that sounded like it was coming from the passenger side - turned out the water pump was on it's way out - had just a little wobble in the shaft.

I just pulled the left valve cover and noticed not very much oil flowing in there. I didn't even need to put a rag on the exhaust manifold to catch the oil that flowed out because only about half of the rockers were spewing oil and not alot of it.. I am lost. Any ideas out there? I put an oil pressure gauge on it and got 70 lbs. cold and about 30 at idle hot. Man, I need help with this. Thanks guys. You can hear the rockers ticking when the engine idles and the v/c is off. Don't think it's an exhaust leak.

There was a buddy at our local cruse in with a nice 70 duster 340 the develop a tick,he replaced all his rockers and tick was gone.Take a look at the bottom side of your rocker were it hitssss the valve for wear.As for not much oil on the left bank pull the shaft and se if any of the oil holes are plug.

When you replaced the rocker shafts did you orient them right..oil holes to the oil passage in the head. Notch down???

OK, if the noise is coming from the valvetrain your next step is to check the lift on each lobe. I think your cam went south. Thats the only thing it could be.

I am not very educated in this field, how do you check the lift on each cam lobe? The car runs fine, just ticks. I have been told that the cam thrust plate could be coming loose. Does that make any sense?

i doubt the cam thrust plate is coming loose and being it is a 340 it will have a double roller timing chain but it could be hitting the timing cove if it is too loose you can pull the fuel pump and reach a finger in there to see how loose it has gotten anything more than half an inch is probably too loose. you can use a long screwdriver and touch it to various places on the engine while it is running and listen, you can also remove the fan belts and listen to it for a lil while and see if the noise is in the accessories

If the timing chain is loose the timing will not hold steady.

Get a timing light and rev the engine up to a steady 3,000 rpm or so and watch the timing marks, if its steady the chain is not too loose

Sure you don't have a tiny header leak ?

I would pull valve covers and rotate engine to put each cylinder with valves completely closed an see if there is excessive clearence between valve and rocker it could be pushrods to short or collapsed lifter or top of valves beat up rockers hitting retainer if it is a real lifter problem it has to have excessive clearence somewhere in the valvetrain you have to do basic trouble shooting

-
Back