Ticking Noise Coming From Transmission Driving Me Crazy

-
it's those darn black darts , better send it up here to me and I'll get you a red one that doesn't make that noise , just kidding of course nice car , my car has had that fluttering sound from time to time and I've often wondered if it isn't the U-joint doing it's job at a certain angle causing a harmonic , I've gone through my driveline every year before making my trip to Moparfest and it keeps coming back , either that or something to do with the way the older 904 pump mates to the converter but then you would expect some sort of failure after 20,000 miles .

Put it in neutral & listened hard. Can't really hear unless I get under the wheel & then I hear it faintly. But loudest when the engine's working the hardest i.e. accelerating & up slopes etc.

So do you think it goes away in neutral, but gets worse under load. The more load that you put on it, the worse/louder it gets...

I can imagine several fluttering sounds..... It might help to record the sounds and post the recording here. Sure it is not an exhaust leak? Like at a manifold joint to the downpipe? They can come and go with warmup, and are certainly load related. Can the OP find out out if the exhaust was disconnected for either trannie R&R?

Yeah, I think Krazy Kuda's going to have to solve this mystery. Thanks for all the info though guys! I could attempt to record it but I doubt that'd help. Will report back once Karl's looked. And Karl: it's barely there in neutral and gets louder the harder the engine works.

Cannucky, no way! I looooove my trinity of black.

are you sure it is not the heat riser valve [in the exhaust manifold] that would explain the "after it warms up" symptom. I had a 67 belvedere that had a noisy heat riser valve. [ i ended up cutting it out and the noise was gone. I was living in FL so it was not needed anyway]

Not sure if anyone's still following this thread but I recorded the sound this evening, which seems to be getting worse! It's the rough, dry rhythmic rattle/flutter over the top of the general engine roar. I was on the highway quite a bit, then slowed to a stop, then sped up again. The clip records that. Gets pretty distinct towards the end. I had my phone lying beneath my feet.

Will this work? Can't seem to upload:

file:///Users/nadirawallace/Desktop/Dart Sound.mov

-
Back