Ticking noise need new lifters? 360 v8

-

purplehazenils

Reaction score
A horrible ticking noise has developed, have flushed engine and changed oil but it hasnt gone. Dads friend says i need new lifters, is this correct? If so what should i buy? Also will i need a torque rench to change them?
Heres a video: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvQW_Whu0Gc&feature=youtu.be"]Need new lifters? 360 v8 - YouTube[/ame]
Thanks in advance :)

Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.But yes you will need a torque wrench to not only use on the rocker shaft bolts but also on the intake bolts,as the the intake needs pulled to change the lifters.I 'd change the header gaskets first,make sure to add thread sealant to front and rear bolts as they go into coolant passages.

X2 on the exhaust leak.

Sounds more like a header gasket leak , unless there is a noise the exhaust leak is masking we can't hear .

If running factory cast iron heads, you do not need to pull the intake to change lifters. They will come out with only pulling the valve cover and rocker shaft. I'm not saying to change the lifters in this case.

I have some gaskets so I'll change them and see. Just surprised an exhaust leak can give such a crisp tic! Thanks for the replies :)

I have some gaskets so I'll change them and see. Just surprised an exhaust leak can give such a crisp tic! Thanks for the replies :)

You can use a piece of hose about 3 foot in length as a stethoscope. Hold one end to your ear and use the other end to move around the header flange and pinpoint the leak if that's what it is.

It sure sounds like it.

-
Back