Ticking sound

-

goldenmopar

Reaction score
Okay so when my car would get low on oil it would have a mild ticking sound fron the driver side, but it would go away once i put oil in. It has been a loooong time since the oil's been changed. Recently i did a header swap and couldn't hear the ticking till i got mufflers on. Well now it's louder than it ever has been but i have the right amount of oil in the car. It doesn't feel less powerful, and the ticking gets faster as the rpm goes up. Not sure what it cpuld be, was thinking lifters?

Pretty comon for a hydraulic lifter to tick, and one of the tricks is to try the product Seafoam.
If the lifter has something (carbon) or such stuck in it the Seafoam will usually clear it.
If that doesn't do it then you may have to replace at least the offending lifter.

Pretty comon for a hydraulic lifter to tick, and one of the tricks is to try the product Seafoam.
If the lifter has something (carbon) or such stuck in it the Seafoam will usually clear it.
If that doesn't do it then you may have to replace at least the offending lifter.

My buddy told me the rocker could be loose, but i'll give the seafoam a try first.

The rocker shouldn't be loose. They are shaft mounted rockers unless you have magnum heads, which are stud mounted.I suppose the end of the rocker tip could be worn but even then the lifters should take up that room. I had a slant six that ticked, sounded like a sewing machine. I drove it several years without problems til I got rid of it.

If I had to guess though I would guess it was a sticky lifter or lifters. If it wasn't serviced for a looooong time I would say it was because of dirty oil that got your lifters ticking.

If I had to guess though I would guess it was a sticky lifter or lifters. If it wasn't serviced for a looooong time I would say it was because of dirty oil that got your lifters ticking.

The oil is dark dark black, it's just not good. So I'm gonna do an oil change this weekend and run some seafoam through the engine, so if it is old dirty oil making my lifters tick hopefully this will clean it out.

If you really get into it, might also be worth while to pull and clean your oil pump. Sounds like it's failing to get oil out there when it's a bit short (unless by low you mean empty lol), might have some nasty build up in the catch. I'm not sure if the seafoam would help cleanse that through if it's larger particules/sludge. I have had my oil level low enough that if I had to break hard, pressure would drop to nothing, but never got a tick to it.

Exhaust leaks at the manifold, especially headers, can make a ticking sound, too.

So why is the oil getting low?

I'm happy everything is fixed and all, but skeptical Rick is skeptical lol If it was simply a header leak, why did it happen only when the oil was low? I also have a driver side header leak and it's ticking away till the engine warms up

I'm happy everything is fixed and all, but skeptical Rick is skeptical lol If it was simply a header leak, why did it happen only when the oil was low? I also have a driver side header leak and it's ticking away till the engine warms up

The oil wasn't low this time, that's why i thought it was strange till i found the leak

Heres how mine sounded with a leaking header. In case someone else has the same problem and wants to compare..
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvQW_Whu0Gc"]Need new lifters? 360 v8 - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back