Ticking

-

71_dart_swinger

Reaction score
so after putting car on dyno in Bakersfield ca. Short story shorter. Floated valves at around 6200. 6400 rpm. Engine is 440. .30 over. Howards hydraulic roller.150 NX plate. 516 heads. At time on dyno it had isky adjustable rockers. Now has Harland sharps. The next day when I pulled car off trailer and drove it for about 3 miles. It started ticking by cylinder 8 or 6. Pretty sure its 8. None of the comp cams push rods are bent. All new Harland sharp rollers. Ferrea valves pretty fresh. I pulled top apart 3 times. It's not exhaust leak. All the lifters are fine. I even changed the lifters to the other bank and ticking is still there. I've done compression check. 8 and 6 are fine and don't leak down. Oil pressure is perfect. Don't really hear it until car just starts warming up which lead me to think lifter but they check out. It's in a 71 dart hence why I haven't pulled head yet so it's tight in there lol. Any ideas. Thank you

Well if you checked all the top stuff, you either missed something or it's not in the top.

Get where this is going?

I know, no one wants to hear that. :D

if you have a tick in your engine is that it is likely caused by one of the reciprocating components rather than a rotating component. Things like bad bearings or accessories will usually make whirring or whining noises as they rotate while reciprocating components like your pistons, rods, valves and push rods usually make ticks, clunks or ratcheting type sounds. Did you check the area for a exhaust leak? You did say you changed the lifters to the other side. Was the ticking coming from the same area when you changed lifter to the other side or was it on the other side now.

You made two statements, the exh. is not leaking, and the lifters "checked out". The two most likely culprits for ticking after a temp. change. I well know how difficult it can be
to find a small exh. leak when access is restricted, I use a piece of steel brake line w/a length of hose attached, hose to the ear and probe w/the line. If a lifter is mucking up
when it heats up, it can be hard to just "check", unless you run w/the valve cover off & check each valve & related one at a time. Put a stethoscope or long screwdriver on the
head as close to ea. valve one by one. Are the rockers the same ratio? any chance a pushrod is clippin' the block/head at a tite spot? Sometimes I just hold a rag and apply some
pressure on each rocker one by one and listen for a change. If it is not a singular tick, and is more of the "ratchet" chicka-chicka type, the piston could've suffered some type
of failure/damage. Hope this is helpful, good luck!

My 360 developed a tick before. At the time header gaskets were also going south. Put Percys soft aluminum gaskets still tick sound! Turns out one of the lifters fell apart (guts came undone) not clip though. So replaced all lifters with new tick gone!

You made two statements, the exh. is not leaking, and the lifters "checked out". The two most likely culprits for ticking after a temp. change. I well know how difficult it can be
to find a small exh. leak when access is restricted, I use a piece of steel brake line w/a length of hose attached, hose to the ear and probe w/the line. If a lifter is mucking up
when it heats up, it can be hard to just "check", unless you run w/the valve cover off & check each valve & related one at a time. Put a stethoscope or long screwdriver on the
head as close to ea. valve one by one. Are the rockers the same ratio? any chance a pushrod is clippin' the block/head at a tite spot? Sometimes I just hold a rag and apply some
pressure on each rocker one by one and listen for a change. If it is not a singular tick, and is more of the "ratchet" chicka-chicka type, the piston could've suffered some type
of failure/damage. Hope this is helpful, good luck!
Ya. Switched the lifters that are in pairs from one bank to the opposite. Brand new exhaust gasket . Most high performance parts are likely to be noise. Especially at start up. I have an oil accumulator so start up isn't as bad. I start engine and let it warm up with valve covers off. Then adjust all lifter and rockers at just over a half turn adjusting in the firring order. It doesn't have a miss or backfire through carb. Everything is literally brand new. Just this annoying tick Lol Converter bolts are good Tranny is fresh too. I'm not looking for a pitty party but I have MS at 33 and just can't stand over my car as long or as often as I used too lol. Hence why I'm dreading pulling the head off. The worst part is after I wrote the gentlemen who TUNED IT about everything told him it was hurt on the dyno He basically changed my 6al2 digital rev limiter from 6300 which had it set at to 6800? He did bounce it off the limited a couple times floating valves. Never wrote me back. Not a response or anything.. A pretty big name in Cali too. And you can't go around the internet just mouthing off names either Just my luck. Lol. Pushrods are not making contact any were Everything looks good but can just hear that tick.

Have you run it with the valve covers off? I had a tick on 6 & 8 when the car warmed up on my new 360. The adjustable rocker arms just touched the valve covers when warm. Look for marks on the baffles. My PVC pickup was over 6 and 8.

-
Back