tie rod end hitting header

-

WA71swinger

Reaction score
swapped out 318 for 360. Power to manual steering (box and column). Headman headers. Pass side inner tie rod hits the header on threaded side of tie rod end to just behind the cotter pin. Can I just hack of half of the threads on the tie rod end? Will it weaken the tie rod? Fit fine with the 318 and power steering with one small dent to header. Would have to put too large a dent in header in a different spot to clear now. Anyone had this problem? Offer solution? Two people have told me to just cut the threads of the tie rod end. Not too sure that's safe.

Sure it is safe. Those extra threads are doing nothing, the cotter pin keeps the nut from falling off. An alternative might be to shim the motor mounts, moving the engine up slightly.

Sure it is safe. Those extra threads are doing nothing, the cotter pin keeps the nut from falling off. An alternative might be to shim the motor mounts, moving the engine up slightly.

I have the newer style mounts. I kind of like them sitting all the way down tight. Almost can't believe they keep the motor in there as it is. 1) Bet I could easily jack the motor out with my cherry picker with them tightened down. 2) The way I drive on country roads with nobody else in the car or on the road. It was probably jacked up on that side a little before the swap. You think? Would I want to do both sides the same (I know dumb questions). Ever shimmed em before. Do share how.

I have a 73 K member with spool mounts. They only sell pre 73 biscuit style shims. But thanks for the link. May be a shopper there someday.

. 1) Bet I could easily jack the motor out with my cherry picker with them tightened down.

With spool mounts? I don't think so. Have you studied them, if not look a little closer.

I know that ain't happening on mine, lol.

Have you had the center link out ? Myself, like most others think or thought the center link is symmetrical. Another member proved it is not. If my memory serves correct his problem was failing idler arms so my entire post here could be irrelevant. Fact about headers in a-body, The common age old practice is doing whatever is required to make them work. Good luck

-
Back