tie rod ends

-

breakstuff

Reaction score
Will later A body tie rod ends work on an early A? I'm using later spindles but my main concern is will they fit into the drag link.

us C-body ends, theyre less expensive, and 11/16 compared to 5/8. you will need the adjuster sleeves as well. the tapered snouts are the same and should fit like butter. Im doing this on my 66.

us C-body ends, theyre less expensive, and 11/16 compared to 5/8. you will need the adjuster sleeves as well. the tapered snouts are the same and should fit like butter. Im doing this on my 66.

I did this on my 66 Valiant too, worked great.

OEM type parts for c-body might work on a-body but beware... a couple of members bought fancy aftermarket sleeves for C-body that used jamb nuts on both the tie rod ends. Those wont work on A-body, too long, cant get toe adjustment right without some sawing.
I still cant find one good reason for the larger tie rod ends on my a-body. If it was a rough service vehicle like a truck or if I drove on ice/snow and thought I might slide into a curb.

Now I can see changing the spindles to the larger ball joints instead, if you compare them side by side they are much bigger and stronger.

If it was a rough service vehicle like a truck or if I drove on ice/snow and thought I might slide into a curb.

montana and minnesota. you nailed it good sir!!! Avoiding potholes around here is inevitable, in all seriousness most of the dirt roads around the county are smoother than 75+% of the paved roads in this town, its pathetic. That and the price is literally almost half for the c-body ends, at least for me it is, so it was an easy decision. Id sacrifice some modification time to save 60 bucks, worth it to me. I do understand where youre coming from though!

Before 68 when the idler arm was mounted in 1 weak little ear. That is where the stress was disapated ( What wasn't releived in the steering gear box anyway ). A good bang on the steering linkage did often mean go get the toe reset. Rarely would anyone bend a tie rod end though.
Actually, the stress still went to the same places in 68 up but that idler arm is better designed to absorb the stress.

Before 68 when the idler arm was mounted in 1 weak little ear. That is where the stress was disapated ( What wasn't releived in the steering gear box anyway ). A good bang on the steering linkage did often mean go get the toe reset. Rarely would anyone bend a tie rod end though.
Actually, the stress still went to the same places in 68 up but that idler arm is better designed to absorb the stress.

good to know. gracias!

-
Back