Tie rod?

-

MemphisDart

Reaction score
Thought I was home free:banghead:...When doing a drum/disk swap do I need to grab the tie rods off the donor car or can the original rods be adjusted...I know someone has covered this somewhere.

Thought I was home free:banghead:...When doing a drum/disk swap do I need to grab the tie rods off the donor car or can the original rods be adjusted...I know someone has covered this somewhere.

There is a sleeve that is between two tie rods that can be adjusted. The tie rod ends have threads that are opposite so loosening the sleeve bolts and turning the sleeve the rods can be made longer or shorter without removing anything else.

A dumb related question. Is the outer tie rod the LH or RH thread? I think RH on all cars, so that screwing the sleeve "into" the outer tie rod shortens it (as if screwing a RH nut). If no standard, it seems alignment jocks would go nuts. That is what I remember on the last car I adjusted toe-in (Mercedes 300D). I ask because I have my 64 Valiant suspension apart and want to verify before I re-assemble.

-
Back