tight fitting header recommendation

-

69fury

Reaction score
So i'm putting my 414 into an off-topic ex-drag car (gasser) to put back on the street and piss off the Ford/Chevy crowd. I'm using front and mid plates and looking for a set of headers that are full length, good performance, but tight to the engine/trans. They can hang down, but they cant go wide since the frame rails are only 26inchs inside-to-inside. (anyone know the width between A body rails or can measure for me?

The engine does sit up quite high- the pan rail is only 2.5 inches below the frame top.

Yes, it would be easier to go straight out and up, through the shock tower holes, since the towers were removed in the 70s, but then it would be super tough to go between tire and door jam, then manage to get an X pipe involved to avoid sounding like a tractor., lol. I'm aftraid i'll be in that home made fenderwell camp, but really hoping you guys know of a tight tuck that is a real 4into1 instead of block huggers that will choke me off.

TIA
Rick

I am in the custom header camp too
I have V8s in small foreign cars that had to have custom headers built. One has fenderwell headers, one with under chassis.
I checked the fit on the under chassis set, with iron heads, had em coated, and then they wouldn't fit with the raised exhaust port aluminum head . I machined some flange spacers with about a ten degree angle to tuck the headers closer.
And I can understand the reluctance of using fenderwell headers. Mine mufflers just run along the rocker panels, exit to the side in front of the tire. I've got looong mufflers, so it's quiet, but I still don't particularly like the tone .(magnaflow straight thru).
In your place, I think i would try the cheapest a body headers i could find, uncoated, and plan to "adjust" the fit... or even move a tube or three.
Edit: I have seen someone here who has a set of fw headers that routed his exhaust under the frame rails, back to the center off the car, and used an x-pipe. I just don't remember who it was.

I am in the custom header camp too
I have V8s in small foreign cars that had to have custom headers built. One has fenderwell headers, one with under chassis.
I checked the fit on the under chassis set, with iron heads, had em coated, and then they wouldn't fit with the raised exhaust port aluminum head . I machined some flange spacers with about a ten degree angle to tuck the headers closer.
And I can understand the reluctance of using fenderwell headers. Mine mufflers just run along the rocker panels, exit to the side in front of the tire. I've got looong mufflers, so it's quiet, but I still don't particularly like the tone .(magnaflow straight thru).
In your place, I think i would try the cheapest a body headers i could find, uncoated, and plan to "adjust" the fit... or even move a tube or three.
Edit: I have seen someone here who has a set of fw headers that routed his exhaust under the frame rails, back to the center off the car, and used an x-pipe. I just don't remember who it was.
I wonder how bad it would be to do the FW headers then go down behind the tire and turn under the frame to an X.

The problems i have that you cant see is that they wouldn't be rearward sweeping like a hot mopar- they would run straight out left and right of the engine with no rear sweep. This would add quite a lot of run before getting to the X and I'm pretty sure to maximize effectiveness of an X pipe, it should be pretty close (The old way to determine where to put an H pipe was to put cheap spray paint on and watch where it burns off first--thats where your pressure wave is piling up)

BUT, I might be mounting the LA and a833 at the top height maximum of the motor plates, high in the engine bay- which COULD mean that it wouldn't be too bad running pipe under the 4 speed. (heat issue having exhaust under the 4speed?)

Edit: evidently the X should be 8-12 inches from the tailshaft according to PYPES company's instructions posted on some chevelle site, so maybe i've got enough room to come from outside rails to an X, although the angle will be quite high. I'll do more research. i really dont want that tractor tone.

Rick

Last edited:
Sanderson has some interesting sprint car, street rod and lakester headers for Mopars that may give you some inspiration- a bit on the pricey side, but what isn't nowadays?
Chrysler - Sanderson Headers
I took a look at their offerings- there is one that could maybe fit with a bit of flow choking, but only if i stay 727, and i'm dying for a faceplated 4 speed

Thanks!
Rick

Our 1962 fenderwells, we just capped the collector, then drilled a 2 1/2 inch ( 3" now)hole on the side of the collector the size exhaust pipe to be used, went sorta straight in and hung about 90* ish to the mufflers.
At strip just undid 3 bolts, put on extensions and threw the cap in the backseat till go home time .

I don't know that you would need the x pipe. If you can route your exhaust from the fenderwells back under the car, and just use an H-pipe, i think the tractor sound will be gone.
In your spot, I would still try the cheapest 4 into 1 long tube under chassis headers i could find, and plan on some "adjustments".

You can see the valve cover over the top of the fender.

20210318_113225.jpg

-
Back