Tight ps gearbox??

-

Mattmoto441

Reaction score
Ok I just swapped out a gear box on my dads 73 cuda and for some reason it seems tight so tight that the ps pump wines . So I thought well that pump is goin out as well so I swap out the pump with a new one and its the same problem.

The original gear box looked like this one
Screenshot_20210727-212713_Chrome.jpg

The new one that we got from the local car quest looks like this

Screenshot_20210727-212521_Chrome.jpg

It there a way to adjust this ? Or do we gotta take this thing out and get another one?

What’s the deal with that replacement gearbox?

it’s a total different design. It doesn’t quite look like the Borgenson Delphi 600 based conversion ….. which can have whine issues that can be fixed with flow valve added i believe.

wonder what that box is based off of???

Mattmoto441,

does this new reman box seem lighter than original ?

Just wonder if it’s the borgenson castings are being used by rebuilders. But these look a little different.

possibly due to lack of cores and commonality of parts with higher sales volume steering gears.

I dunno ? Its definitely frustrating because these are not super easy yo swap out and would rather adjust this one vs taking it out and getting another one

I think the hex bolt is there for pressure adjustment??

Here it is in the car

Resized_20210718_113402.jpeg

I believe that box is from Lares. I don't have any information on it yet. The Borgeson box is not Delphi based. It was in the beginning, 8 years ago.

Last edited:
If you try to adjust it, it may void warranty. Just exchange it.
In my opinion they should work perfect out of the box, no break-in necessary.

If you try to adjust it, it may void warranty. Just exchange it.
In my opinion they should work perfect out of the box, no break-in necessary.
These are a pain in the butt to swap so I was hopeful that its just a pressure adjustment and it be fine . The warranty don't mean crap. The parts store has to exchange it. What really sucks is the old one worked well but it just leaked a lot . I also just put the a new one in the duster thats the old style and it worked perfectly.

I believe that box is from Lares. I don't have any information on it yet. The Borgeson box is not Delphi based. It was in the beginning, 8 years ago.

I thought the guts were Delphi 600 based and they just cast a housing as opposed modifying and welding the original housing.

What are the Borgenson internals now based on?

These are a pain in the butt to swap so I was hopeful that its just a pressure adjustment and it be fine . The warranty don't mean crap. The parts store has to exchange it. What really sucks is the old one worked well but it just leaked a lot . I also just put the a new one in the duster thats the old style and it worked perfectly.

Other than the whine, does this Lares box feel any tighter than the other stock based rebuilt box in your other car?

Id like to know how it feels too , maybe you should lift up the front of the car and looen up the steeing column to fire wall screws and rotate the steering wheel left and right then re tighten . Could bee production tolerences at the mounting.
Should be easy to turn the wheels by hand , jacket up and engin off.

Id like to know how it feels too , maybe you should lift up the front of the car and looen up the steeing column to fire wall screws and rotate the steering wheel left and right then re tighten . Could bee production tolerences at the mounting.
Should be easy to turn the wheels by hand , jacket up and engin off.
Feels rough like its got gravel in it or something is to tight . That with it in the air and the car off . I believe I got a lemon and have to take it out unfortunately

-
Back