tight steering

-

hdfattboy2001

Never Enough Cars!
Reaction score
Hey guys, on my cuda the front end is all rebuilt, the steering is really tight though. Its a powersteering car, and when I turn the wheel I have to manually turn it back, it doesn't return straight on its own.... Any ideas?
Thanks

yes...your alignment could be out of whack...you might need more caster...a good example of what alignment specs you should have is somewhere around 3 or 4 degrees positive caster, 1/2 degree negative camber, and 1/8" toe in...

what you describe, is usually caused by the alignment guy....I had my car aligned once, and I noticed the wheels wouldnt straighten back up going through a turn..i took it back and he added more caster? i think...and it fixed it....some alignment shops, "set the toe, and let her go" or do those "air pressure alignments" lol

powersteering wont return like the manual steering did but it should operate easy.
If eveything has sufficient grease you should be able to steer it with a pinky finger.
Tight steering could be anything from column bearings, to overtightened bashlash adjustment, to a weak pump.

Did anyone mess w/ the steering box adjustment......maybe overtightened it. Also, PS fluid full and belt adjusted correctly?

Did anyone mess w/ the steering box adjustment......maybe overtightened it. Also, PS fluid full and belt adjusted correctly?
I believe the steering box was rebuilt so its possible its overtightened? Yeah the fluid and belt are good.... Definatly cant steer it with a pinky! I may have to take it to have alignment checked...

Did you get an alignment after the rebuild? If so, did they use the factory specs?

Factory specs were designed for the old bias ply tires and can cause problems when used with modern radials.

I believe the steering box was rebuilt so its possible its overtightened? Yeah the fluid and belt are good.... Definatly cant steer it with a pinky! I may have to take it to have alignment checked...

If you haven't had it aligned yet, start there. The specs could be far enough off to wreak havoc while driving.

Have the alignment tech get you as much positive caster as possible. Here's where my Demon is set. :cheers:

Demon Build 139.jpg

Im not sure if an alignment was done or not, I just picked up the car in the fall and the previous owner did all the work....I will have to check that.... Thanks guys

-
Back