Tighting mirrors on a 64 dart

-

fiberguy

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can tighten up the original mirrors on my 64 dart 270. There are no adjustments and they work OK until I get on the Freeway and then both of them eventually fall from the air resistance. Does anyone have a simple solution that won't damage the mirrors. They are original and the chrome is in good shape, so I don't want to mess them up. Also expensive to replace. I know that there are new after market available, but would like to keep my original mirrors. Thanks

The mirror on my Demon did the same thing. I had to brake the glass and tighten up 2 little screws (used lock tight on them) and had a glass shop cut me new mirror. Still ok to this day. I would think your mirror is the same as long as your mirror uses round glass.

What Keith said. A couple of years ago I bought NOS mirrors for my '78 Dodge dually and found that (thank god) in the intervening years they had moved the tightening screws from the inside of the mirror to the outside, so you don't have to remove the glass to tighten them.

Fiberguy,
The mirror is held in by pressure and a split ring. Take the mirror off the car, with light pressure push the mirror in and remove the split ring and mirror. There should be a metal band over the swivelball inside. Just add tension to the ball, that should tighten up the mirror head.

Bob

thanks a lot for the info guys. I had no idea that I could take the glass out of the mirror. I appreciate the quick response. By the way, can any one lead me to a good place to pick up a gasket kit to overhaul my 225cu.in. slant six?

Got mine from the local NAPA. The part number on the box is FS7918PT4. Seems like it was about $75.00.

-
Back