Timing Assistance

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
Good Day All; I was wondering if there was someone near by the Tri Citys with some expertice in the timing dept. I'm having trouble getting the pinging to quit on the slant 6.I have timing advanced and the distributor is curved to match the cam. Also need to figure how to get the secondaries to open on my Holley 390. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can trade some of my tileing experience for helping. PM if intrested. Thanks. Dean

You can gradually just rotate the Dizzy dropping the Rpm's. Maybe about 50 Rpm's at a time. Then test drive it and check for ping under hard acceleration. repeat as necessary until pinging is gone or at least minimal. You will probably need to adjust idle up at Carburetor.

I currently have it turned clockwise as far as the adjustments will allow. I think my only option is to pull it up a tooth and start from there. Just hate to throw everything off again.

I currently have it turned clockwise as far as the adjustments will allow. I think my only option is to pull it up a tooth and start from there. Just hate to throw everything off again.
If it's pinging and you can't back the timing off any further then you'll have to do that. Running the best fuel you can find locally(highest octane) will help too.

Just filled it with the 92 so well see how it goes tomorrow. Also thinking of exchanging the Holley for the Edel 500 as the 390 seem to fall flat on take offs. Might the 500 be to big. Engine is .060 decked .080 head shaved ..20 cam is couple notches above stock. Thanks for the help

Do you know the distributor hold down bracket has an adjustment underneath ?

I believe I left the underneath a little loose just for this reason. So how can you tell how far advanced or other if there is only 1 mark on the balancer. I'm supposed to be about 12-14 advanced.

You can use a timing tape on the balancer, or do what I did.
I found that every 3/4 of an inch is 10 degrees and marked a piece of tape in 5 degree increments.

That makes my life way simpler. Thanks for the tip. We just changed the locks on the doors as we didn't have the keys,did the break in oil change and installed an overflow for the coolant so the cats don't try drinking the mess. If some one wanted to come by and do my third member swap,I have all the gaskets,I would be more than happy to give the unit to them. Its a 3.91 sure grip but it needs some pieces replaced whatever those things are called that the tabs slide onto. I've ran it as is for about a month and no noise or anything its just to high for my son to be hwy driving everyday on. Think about it.

-
Back