Timing-big drop in idle speed when in gear

-

tekslk

Reaction score
Just set my timing 35 total 19 initial Idle speed 1200 when I put this thing in gear idle drops to about 600, do I need to readjust idle air mixtures?

where do you have your distributer advance hooked to. (hooking it to a non-ported sourcw can cause this problem sometimes) {more vacuum with no load and then load applied= less timing and slower rpms} Use vacuum gauge to test.

First off, what are we workin on? If you have your timing where you want it I would get a vacuum gauge and hook it to full manifold vacuum. Set your idle between 7-8 hundred. With the car in gear if it's auto, dial your mixture screws so that you have max vacuum and then back them off just a smidge and see where your at.

where do you have your distributer advance hooked to. (hooking it to a non-ported sourcw can cause this problem sometimes) {more vacuum with no load and then load applied= less timing and slower rpms} Use vacuum gauge to test.
Its a chrysler dist I dontuse vacume on it I amusing a chrome box 360 engine mild crane cam. I also dont have a vacume gage do it by ear. old school here

Its a chrysler dist I dontuse vacume on it I amusing a chrome box 360 engine mild crane cam. I also dont have a vacume gage do it by ear. old school here
Only changed timing and it idle great before with minimal drop when put in gear, My question is could this be the idle fuel mixture needs reset?

You might need a stall converter. I mean if your engine is running fine in park and does good once you rolling up to speed your converter might be to small for that cam.

What's the motor combo?

Could be a carb tune problem , not enough converter , a combo of both....

You might need a stall converter. I mean if your engine is running fine in park and does good once you rolling up to speed your converter might be to small for that cam.
Or a four speed conversion !! :notworth:

Only changed timing and it idle great before with minimal drop when put in gear, My question is could this be the idle fuel mixture needs reset?

It could be, but without knowing engine specs it's hard to give accurate info. Compression, cam specs, carburetor etc. A vacuum gauge is a must.

I had that same problem when I installed a moderate Comp cam in my Valiant. I tried to set the timing by a light but had no luck. I finally tweeked the idle/air screws and just played around with the timming old school style. Finally found the sweet spot. I will only take a little timing adjustment. A little stall converter will also give you the results you want. I just didn't want to take out the tranny to do that. Good luck, Jerry

-
Back