Timing Chain Blues

-

ILLDuster74

Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems with timing chains for 318 LA engines?
I have had 3 different brands (Comp Cams, Melling and Cloyes)and none fit the keyway on the cam ugh. Melling is the closest.

have to checked the keyway on the cam to see if it has a burr or something?

No burr nice and clean, I believe its a factory cam..the car had the factory timing chain on it, but the keyway is effing huge over 3/8 of an inch.

so if you take the cam gear...without the chain ...it will not slide onto the cam?

you can get a new keyway at your local part store if needed.

no not easily, even the old one had to be persuaded on, the key way is milled into the cam gear to clear the key on the cam shaft

Maybe the key came out a bit. Squeeze it back in all the way. You may have to use some force to get the gear on. Making sure everything clears. The cam bolt will help push the gear on.

None, including Fords I've worked on just slide on, they all require some persuasion. A large socket and an easy tap from a BFH works. My suggestion is measure your key way and the sprocket opening and report your findings. If its something absurd like a 1/8" key and a 1/16 opening, then there is an issue with the cam or key.

Are you sure it's a stock i.e. ma Mopar cam?

no not easily, even the old one had to be persuaded on, the key way is milled into the cam gear to clear the key on the cam shaft

yes..the keyway is machined into the cam....you buy a cam ..there is no keyway in the cam...you have to buy and install keyway...

you take a drift..and knock the keyway out....cover your oil pan so it does fall into the pan...tap new keyway into cam....

Thanks 70aar didnt know i could take them out..that may help alot.

So it doesn't just pop on like on Horsepower TV lol.
dano well the motor only has about 40k on it so I am assuming that it is original because the engine doesn't look like its been apart. I usually use that big socket but worry that it might push the cam back to far.

The key way is 3/8 and the cam is just about 3/8 can i just give it a lil filing?

Thanks 70aar didnt know i could take them out..that may help alot.

So it doesn't just pop on like on Horsepower TV lol.
dano well the motor only has about 40k on it so I am assuming that it is original because the engine doesn't look like its been apart. I usually use that big socket but worry that it might push the cam back to far.

The key way is 3/8 and the cam is just about 3/8 can i just give it a lil filing?

Go easy, it will be a light press fit, tap genteelly. Most of these parts have a .0005" clearance, and sometimes net to negative clearance. Just imagine if your sprocket was sloppy on the cam. Did you take the original sprocket off?

the cam gear should slide on.....maybe a few taps from a rubber mallet...

there has to be a burr on it....

100_2954.jpg

100_2955.jpg

100_2956.jpg

took a couple of pictures ....one cam has keyway in,..the other does not...

last pic show keyway laying on cam.....

Tony went out and checked no burrs,very smooth on both tthe cam and crank. The cam seems original the old cam gear had a mopar pentastar on it and was very light.

I'll post pics of it tomorrow can't find the camera.

Thanks everyone

-
Back