Timing chain cover 1966 273

-

Chuck Bushey

Reaction score
I've been working on my 66 barracuda 273 now for 20 years. I hired a reputable guy to check out the engine and bring it up to snuff. I've had it back now for 7+ years and have finally gotten it back in the car. However, much to my dismay it has a coolant leak out the timing chain cover. Investigation proved that it was not the original cover put back on (seems it's a late model cover) and after removing it found it was warped. So I am looking for an early model 273 cover to replace it. Does anyone know where I might find one? (the guy who went through mine is retired and no longer around). I also found that the Oil Slinger was hacked up in order to fit the new cover and so I need to locate another one of those as well.

I also have another related question - there are no locating pins in the engine or the cover, how was this cover supposed to have been located to ensure proper centering so as to not prematurely wear out the crank seal? The service manual does not mention this but I believe there had to be something that made sure this was properly centered.

Welcome to the site. You should find parts, cars, tech information, and like minded enthusiasts for the A Body Mopar hobby.

If you are looking for parts or cars please don't post your request here. Post them in a wanted thread in the Marketplace forums.
Make sure to read and follow the sale rules there.

Thanks and we'll see you on the forums.

There are no locating pins for the timing cover. The cover centers itself by means of the oil seal, ie the cover is installed loosely, then slide the harmonic balancer on. The timing cover will center itself on the balancer's sealing surface, and can then be tightened down. The oil pan is installed last.
I'm not aware of any LA engines that used T.C. locating pins, but earlier A engines (Polysphere) did.

Replace the cover with the oil pan off and make it level with the pan rail. Make sure you use the correct bolts on the left side at the bottom of the cover or you will crack the cylinder wall if its just a little to long, I have seen guys remove the power steering from the engine and use the same bolts taken out. Without the bracket even those bolts have cracked the cylinder.

Any cover will work from 69 on back. 68 and 69 have the t iming tab casted into the cover, 67 and earlier have a timing tab that bolts on with the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
-
Back