Timing Chain Installation Question

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
I am attempting to install the top timing gear on to my new camshaft. I got it all lined up but am having an issue. I needed a new woodruff key and ordered one but with the key way installed on the cam with the curved edge of the key facing into the cam groove key way and the flat edge on the outside every time I try to tap the sprocket on to the cam key the key will move and be at an angle. Is there any way to keep the key from moving so I can install the gear? I do not want to damage anything. Thanks.- maniac

Have you checked the key in both the cam and sprocket for fitment before trying to assemble? It may not be seating all the way in the cam, or too tight in the sprocket.

OK ! Been there and had the same prob b4. First thing make sure there isn't any burrs on the gear keyway or the key itself from previous attempts. Next start to install as usual again. when you just get it started, and the key starts to move - take a long pin punch and tap the key back down at the same time tap the gear back on the snout of the cam (at this point a friend might be good to have ).
Also sounds like the key might be a tad too small- you should have to tap (lightly) the key into the keyway -if youy can push it in with your thumb it is too small.

Also trial fit just the gear on the key and cam. slidre it off and on a few time before doing it with the chain

A properly made Woodruff just plain fits. But there may be a burr in either one of the keyways, or dirt,

OR the key itself may be just a little too tall, OR you may have gotten the wrong key.

I agree with the above, "trial fit" the thing. You may have to file some off the top or bottom to get it to seat. SHOULD NOT take much, just a stroke or three

Another thing you might try is to find some soft material to protect the cam, even a folded up section of soda can material, then squeeze the key down into the keyway with a pair of slip-joint pliers.

The key fits the cam fine. The problem is that the cut groove in the sprocket seems to be too small. the key itself measures .018 and the keyway is.017

Gently dress the key with a fine flat file until it slides into the gear. It could be slightly flared at the top of the key.

Got it to fit. I used a small square edge file and filed down the edges of the keyway in the gear and it slid right on. Thanks for the help!!!

-
Back