Timing Chain Installation

-

72DartSwingerV8

Reaction score
I'm finishing up my engine build and have the timing cover and waterpump bolted on the front. The problem is that I found this washer thing that slides over the crankshaft with the notch to align it. I'm guessing that this goes on the lower timing gear on the outside but I don't understand the functionality of it. Is that where it's supposed to go and do I need to put it back on?

It's called a "Crankshaft oil slinger" and it protects the front seal from excessive oil contact. Forces lubricant oil onto the timing chain also.
Yes you do need it.

OK, leave it out, according to other people. Ma Mopar was cheap, and never installed parts not needed. It goes on the inside of the cover, concave facing in. Some of the answers in here are just unbeleivable.

OK, leave it out, according to other people. Ma Mopar was cheap, and never installed parts not needed. It goes on the inside of the cover, concave facing in. Some of the answers in here are just unbeleivable.
:sign5: i always wonder why the "you don't need that, leave it off" answerer's never suggest half the bolts that are obviously extra

the cost of the oil slinger is cheaper then having a NEW car returned for service call due to an oil leak in the front seal....5 yrs or 50k miles...

slinger cheaper...

I wouldn't omit the oil slinger, just added security. Mine had the drip plate and no oil slinger when I pulled it apart. When it went back together it had both.

-
Back