Timing chain question

-

RAYS 69 MOPAR

Reaction score
hi I'm building a mile 360 Street motor something less than 400 horses or maybe 400 when it comes to the timing chain I'm looking at double roller timing chain how important is it do you have more than one keyway thank you guys

Double roller with numerous keyways to adjust valve timing when dialing in the cam is a good choice. Lots of info here on FABO about how to do it. Most all cam instruction sheets should tell you how also.

Double roller with numerous keyways to adjust valve timing when dialing in the cam is a good choice. Lots of info here on FABO about how to do it. Most all cam instruction sheets should tell you how also.

So is it with it to spend a lil more for it ? In a street cat with under .500 lift

the extra keyways are there to fix slop in the manufacturing process of the camshaft
you may have a perfect example of a camshaft where it lines up dot to dot and is AS ADVERTISED

in that case, you can use the extra keyways to tune your engine, but you would not need them

now, you may also get a camshaft which is pushing the boundaries of the production process tolerances and then you need the extra keyways to get it dialed in as advertised

hi I'm building a mile 360 Street motor something less than 400 horses or maybe 400 when it comes to the timing chain I'm looking at double roller timing chain how important is it do you have more than one keyway thank you guys

It's handy for adjusting timing, but its also important as soaking the timing chain in some warm Redline synthetic gear lube on it's side for a day and to add the timing chain tensioner to the motor.

The gear lube trick has essentially eliminated measurable chain stretch on several of my motors. I discovered it using my chain saw, where it has quadrupled times 2 the chain life over conventional lube.

Make sure you degree the cam.

You don't need the trick timing chain. They make offset keys that do the exact same thing.

if they still sell offset keys, you don't need multiple keyways. And you'll only need offset keys if you actually dial-in the cam. I strongly suggest doing the dial-in, it's a good habit to get into.

I like the Edelbrock true roller double roller timing chain. It's stronger than the stock 340 chains and reasonably priced. I've run them over 200 k with no problems on street engines...

Edelbrock

-
Back