Timing chain removal need help!

-
drain coolant ,pull fan and belts off, remove water pump....remove timing cover, their are 2 bolts through the front of oil pan that need to come out..becareful not to ruin gasket....align the marks on the timing chain and gears....remove and replace....clean cover...put a new pump on while you have it off...new gaskets run it

A service manual would help. Chiltons, Hayes, any, is better than none.
The timing cover is potmetal and breakable ! Good luck

I've got everything off. The timing chain seems to lack any markings to line it up. I have a Factory service manual but its lacking on info on this topic.

The marks are on the gears, each should have a dot or small circle stamped into them.

I've got everything off. I have a Factory service manual but its lacking on info on this topic.
No BS allowed ! "Prelube the cahin well before installing" may not be stated in the manual you have.

look at the new gears you will see the dots or lines......good idea redfish on prelube......

Thanks guys,esp the pre lube is KY ok LOL. I'm also wondering if i just use a gear puller to get off the lower sprocket. Thats now my second hang up

Most of the time you can just use 2 big flathead screwdrivers behind the gear and just pry it off. You have to work the bottom a little then the top and back and forth. It's not on there that tight.

Hey isn't their a funny tin shield behind the timing cover, before the bottom gear...what does that due????..oil slinger ????

I know when i worked the top gear it stopped on what looked like a brass tab, and thanks about that bottom gear cuz last time I used a screwdriver to remove something it broke lol.

Well geez if you wanted to do it the RIGHT way I guess you could use one of dem fancy shmancy gear puller thingies lol :D

Yes, it is an oil slinger and make sure you put it on the same way you took it off or it will get chunked up by your timing chain.

-
Back