Timing cover question

-

melter

Reaction score
Just bought a timing cover gasket set and in it is a thick felt ring or donut. When I pulled the cover off I found nothing like this. Anyone know where this goes? The engine is a 360 from the early 70s I was told.

I believe it goes behind the oil slinger.I know what your talking about,never
used them before,threw them out.

It goes in the vibration damper snout. Keeps stuff from getting on the oil seal. Last Felpro engine kit I bought did not have one.

its in the timing cover, I believe its the one that needs to be taped out to replace

It goes in the vibration damper snout. Keeps stuff from getting on the oil seal. Last Felpro engine kit I bought did not have one.
Only used on 273 early LA 318 and Poly motors. The vibration dampers had a retaining ring attached to hold it in place.

WOW I just had this question. We were building the bottom end and the "Oil Slinger" plate was rattling with the Dampner pulley on fairly far... I was like "Hey how bout the Donut?" my step-dad has mostly owned fords and chevy's (Poor Bastard. He admits to Mopar Superiority all the time though so we are cool. He has built motors over 100 times{I tried to want to say assemble engines but it sounds way too correct to be done in an attached garage}) and he was like. "I dunno?! I ain't never seen one-u-dum-dure Whoodickies, Could be?"

So we left it in the box...
I imagine it would have to make your engine less "Rattly" somehow to some extent...

DOES ANYONE RUN THEM?

Between the Crank sprocket and "oil slinger"?
or between the slinger and the Timing Cover?
or timing cover and Dampner?

-I got confused by this thread...

The donut has nothing to do with the oil slinger. The oil slinger goes on the inside of the timing cover. The donut goes between the timing cover and vibration damper.

-
Back