Timing cover seal

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
95 5.9cid. “Think” Oil seal in the timing cover leaks. Did search, but just want to verify I can replace it without pulling the water pump or timing chain cover
Thanks!

I believe the timing cover has to come off and the seal is driven in from the back, or thats how the LA engines are. I'm not sure if the magnums are different.

I believe the timing cover has to come off and the seal is driven in from the back, or thats how the LA engines are. I'm not sure if the magnums are different.
Didn't they change that when the timing mark switched sides?

Some time later, they got rid of the lip all together so it can go in from either end

That's what I recall too. At sometime they moved the seal to the outside.

Pull the ballancer, that will tell you for sure.

It changed in the late 70’s to the seal coming in from the front. I have a 1978 amd was glad to hear that it would come out the front By then.

Another case for having a factory shop manual for your car and it will show you.

It changed in the late 70’s to the seal coming in from the front. I have a 1978 amd was glad to hear that it would come out the front By then.

Another case for having a factory shop manual for your car and it will show you.
I got a manual for my 70 Duster, but since I put the stroker in I guess I never got another for the 95 Ram 1500 engine.

Thanks all, I'll pull the balencer and see what it looks like.

I got a manual for my 70 Duster, but since I put the stroker in I guess I never got another for the 95 Ram 1500 engine.

Thanks all, I'll pull the balencer and see what it looks like.
Well now, that opens up lots of possibilities. Did you convert the 5.9 to an LA timing cover and V belt drive? Or leave the Magnum timing cover and serpentine drive on it? If you converted to the LA cover, the answer to your original question will depend entirely on what year timing cover you used.

Well now, that opens up lots of possibilities. Did you convert the 5.9 to an LA timing cover and V belt drive? Or leave the Magnum timing cover and serpentine drive on it? If you converted to the LA cover, the answer to your original question will depend entirely on what year timing cover you used.
Damn, I had the engine built by someone out of business now. It does have v belts. Looking at my spec sheet it says 360 magnum core, does not say anything about timing chain cover. What would identify it as a la cover?

1. Does it have a fuel pump mount and hole?
  2. Are the timing marks on a raised boss on the drivers or passanger side.
These two questions will rull out a few covers.

This photo should help you ID if it's an innie or an outtie

Screenshot_20221128-200753.png

Last edited:
Damn, I had the engine built by someone out of business now. It does have v belts. Looking at my spec sheet it says 360 magnum core, does not say anything about timing chain cover. What would identify it as a la cover?
Easiest giveaway is a fuel pump boss- probably has a blockoff plate bolted on it now. Magnum timing covers had no provision whatsoever for a mechanical fuel pump.
Just the fact that you have v-belts means you have an LA cover, since v-belts necessitate a standard rotation water pump, and a magnum timing cover generally requires a reverse rotation pump- thus needing a serpentine drive.
And no, the LA pumps do not fit on a magnum timing cover, so that eliminates that possibility.
When you pull off your harmonic balancer, you will most likely see one of the following two timing covers- the one on the top has seal installation from the inside, the one on the bottom installs from the outside.

1669696242491.png

1669696293804.png

My guess is you'll find the one on the bottom, since that is the style that is still available new and would probably be the one sourced by a crate engine builder.
Below is a pic of a Magnum timing cover, just for ***** & grins. You can see the differences.
1669696839238.png

Easiest giveaway is a fuel pump boss- probably has a blockoff plate bolted on it now. Magnum timing covers had no provision whatsoever for a mechanical fuel pump.
Just the fact that you have v-belts means you have an LA cover, since v-belts necessitate a standard rotation water pump, and a magnum timing cover generally requires a reverse rotation pump- thus needing a serpentine drive.
And no, the LA pumps do not fit on a magnum timing cover, so that eliminates that possibility.
When you pull off your harmonic balancer, you will most likely see one of the following two timing covers- the one on the top has seal installation from the inside, the one on the bottom installs from the outside.

View attachment 1716016511

View attachment 1716016512

My guess is you'll find the one on the bottom, since that is the style that is still available new and would probably be the one sourced by a crate engine builder.
Below is a pic of a Magnum timing cover, just for ***** & grins. You can see the differences.
View attachment 1716016513
Definitely not the magnum cover from the picture and at one time did have a fuel pump. I’ll pull the HB and that will tell.

Thanks for the reply and the photos. I’d be lost without FABO!

1. Does it have a fuel pump mount and hole?
  2. Are the timing marks on a raised boss on the drivers or passanger side.
These two questions will rull out a few covers.

This photo should help you ID if it's an innie or an outtie

View attachment 1716016503
So when ordering new seal, if it’s the second one tell the counter guy at autozone a 76 360 or something? It did have a fuel pump and timing marks are on the drivers side.

Early and late covers use the same seal. It just changed how it was installed in 1978 due to the cover change.

-
Back