timing gear alignment.

-
Just to stir the pot. When installing a new chain and sprockets, you really need to use a degree wheel. The quality of the current parts is very suspect. A couple of years ago, I had a timing set that was so far off, with the sprockets at dot to dot, it was ridicules. Couldn't even adjust it enough with an offset bushing. I had to jump the sprockets so the dots were one tooth off, then use a offset bushing to bring it back.

Just to stir the pot. When installing a new chain and sprockets, you really need to use a degree wheel. The quality of the current parts is very suspect. A couple of years ago, I had a timing set that was so far off, with the sprockets at dot to dot, it was ridicules. Couldn't even adjust it enough with an offset bushing. I had to jump the sprockets so the dots were one tooth off, then use a offset bushing to bring it back.
I agree about a million percent.

. The bottom line? If that FSM says the engine is timed to #1 TDC with those sprockets as they are in the picture, it is WRONG. Plain and simple
The FSM does not mention tdc of any cylinder just align the dots.

RRR I'm done here, our bickering is not being helpful.

If the op reads and follows the manual or listens to you that is on him.

Have a nice night.

The FSM does not mention tdc of any cylinder just align the dots.

RRR I'm done here, our bickering is not being helpful.

If the op reads and follows the manual or listens to you that is on him.

Have a nice night.
Well, I apologize for gettin snappy. I actually HAVE a learning disability. Dyslexia. I shouldn't have said that. I was trying to get you to understand something and you kept on and kept on not doing it. I thought I was very clear on it, but I guess you were still having trouble grasping how the FSM lays it out. I'll stop short of calling the FSM wrong, but it damn near is, especially if it makes no reference to turning the engine one complete revolution to get it on #1 TDC. Again, you're one of my favorite people on here. I didn't mean to be disrespectful.

We are all good.

Love this country and the people in it. The ability for us to have disagreements then go out and get a beer after. It's what makes America unique.

Last edited:
-
Back