Timing issue

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I have a 68 Valiant Auto with a slant 6. The timing chain cover has no timing marker on it. I know the timing is off because she pings like crazy once she warms up and has no power. How can I set the timing if there is no timing mark?

Find the tech archive on TDC tool how to make. Once you get #1 TDC compression make your own indicator or mark. Or with the valve cover off watch the rockers on #1 and #6 when both rockers on #6 start to move one closing one opening you should be close.

You need what is known as a "piston stop." Google it. You can buy them from Summit, but most the commercial ones are lacking.........a lock device to hold them firm

"If you are handy" you can make one from a plug.

This is mine for a SB V8, I've had this since the early 70's

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=1714540100&stc=1&d=1347066506

You are not trying to stop the piston at TDC, but rather "down a ways." Bring the piston up to the stop, and make a careful, temporary mark under TDC. Since you have no marker, you'll want to install a temporary pointer.

Now rotate the engine the other direction, until it once again stops the piston. You need a second mark, and TDC will be between the two marks. Once you get a reference established, you can make or replace the pointer / tab.

-
Back