timing light recommendation..

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
seems like my 25 year old craftsman light has about had it.. i guess it could just be the cord but not really sure. i replaced that many years ago..

anyway i'm in the market for a new one. i'd like to have the advance dial but its not mandatory but it does need to be able to work with a MSD style ign without flipping out and all...

so what are you guys using??

Seperate the case and look for a loose solder joint, at the flash tube IIRC.

All I know is I compared my cheapo old school chrome Craftsman to my buddy's high dollar Matco adv dial light, and they showed the same number. I'd just get another old-style inductive light.

Hey Joe
I have a old school sears/craftsman chrome timing light and a newer craftsman timing light with timing advance feature that I dont use anymore and I am willing to part with (fairly cheap) and they both work great, if your interested PM me and I will send you some pics

seems like my 25 year old craftsman light has about had it.. i guess it could just be the cord but not really sure. i replaced that many years ago..

anyway i'm in the market for a new one. i'd like to have the advance dial but its not mandatory but it does need to be able to work with a MSD style ign without flipping out and all...

so what are you guys using??

I bought this set in "about" 1981.

Dixco 5 Piece Test and Tune-up Set -Nice Condition-Model 1333 | eBay

Dixco usually doesn't bring good feelings of quality, but all of it was made in USA and every single piece still works and works well. I have actually put the timing light up against a couple of Snap On Computer lights and it's dead nuts right. It's not dial back, which I like. I know you didn't ask about a whole kit, but that's the light I have and it's been a dang goodun for a long time. My advice for just a light though is this. One, don't get a dial back. Let the engine do it for you. Two don't get one with a removable cord. They always lose connection somehow.

Yea the removable seems to always be an issue. But do like the dial to check total timing without having to use timing tape. I'll look into that live you linked to

Hey Joe
I have a old school sears/craftsman chrome timing light and a newer craftsman timing light with timing advance feature that I dont use anymore and I am willing to part with (fairly cheap) and they both work great, if your interested PM me and I will send you some pics

For some reason when I try to pm you I get a page error and it doesn't allow me to send a message.

Watch the dial backs they can give the wrong readings. That sun one listed is a great light and you can still get replacement flash bulbs for them for around $5 each. I come across a lot of older test equipment and like Rob mentioned the older the better USUALLY. I actually like Dixco, never really any issues with it just not a go to brand like say Sun or Craftsman.

Last edited:
Yea the removable seems to always be an issue. But do like the dial to check total timing without having to use timing tape. I'll look into that live you linked to

You don't have to use timing tape. Search "hillbilly timing tape" by @crackedback. Simple and very effective and you don't have to worry about slingin timing tape off since you don't use it, you simply mark the balancer.

Hey Joe I did some checking and I can send and receive PM's from other members here so maybe your mailbox is full ?

Watch the dial backs they can give the wrong readings. That sun one listed is a great light and you can still get replacement flash bulbs for them for around $5 each. I come across a lot of older test equipment and like Rob mentioned the older the better USUALLY. I actually like Dixco, never really any issues with it just not a go to brand like say Sun or Craftsman.

No doubt about the accuracy of the dials.... Nothing wrong with hitting FB and finding a replacement for the one you have or as said maybe split yours and see if it's a quick fix. I have probably the same one you do Joe.... The Mac with the Dial for Advance I have is useless IMO....

JW

No doubt about the accuracy of the dials.... Nothing wrong with hitting FB and finding a replacement for the one you have or as said maybe split yours and see if it's a quick fix. I have probably the same one you do Joe.... The Mac with the Dial for Advance I have is useless IMO....

JW

i have one like this... the dial has always worked great for me.

986898.jpg

-
Back