timing light

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
The one I had just crapped out....have only had it for 30 or so years. Any suggestions?

You know me Doug. Thrift stores, garage sales, and "low buck" I've got a couple here I paid 5 bucks or so for. And, I've still got a Craftsman I bought in the early 70's!!!!

I never have liked ones that have the harness that plugs in to the light. The connector always seems to give problems. I also like a dialback feature, but not with the old analog wheel on the back. They are not very accurate. I prefer the digital type. Either will work just as well, it's just if you are setting total timing, the dialback feature is nice. As far as brand, I like the ones you buy off a truck, but that doesn't mean you have to buy it off a truck.

I miss my old sun gun. Man I wish I knew the SOB that took it. It worked great even after I melted the spark plug lead and had to wrap a rubber band around it to clamp.

The older Craftsman I have now works I guess.

I have a Cornwell digital with the advance feature. Works awesome.
I just checked the Craftsman tool site and they have one, but the reviews are spotty.
Don't buy cheap, it may work, but it probably won't when you really need it.

I don't have one either anymore. I guess growing legs is a pretty common thing with tools, in a pinch I ran to Sears and got just a basic craftsman and took it back because the light didn't work I didn't bother with another one. I did set the timing though with my brothers craftsman, don't figure.

I think near about any tool is a crap shoot now a days, I can't speak for the high dollar stuff cause I haven't tried any.

I,d check swap meets and look for a good vintage piece. Seems the new chinese garbage has a short life expectancy. The newer cars use a scanner so the old stuff is more suited to our cars. I have an old actron and an adjustable advance Craftsman .Both are over 20 years old.

PM me your address. I just found I my extra one. You can have it.

Might go out for a bike ride tomorrow, suppose it would not hurt to check some pawn shops?

While I wouldn't shun free (which is awesome, btw), I got my $250 Mac digital dialback light on Craigslist for $80, and it was Brand New.

-
Back