Timing MSD distributor

-

Conch27

Reaction score
I have a question on timing my 318. I have a msd ignition. Now my question is I made my first drag runs this past weekend, I was really struggling off the line and keeping it even running at the line. The car starts great but is a dog of the line and really struggles off idle. I was recently reading up on my distributor and it seems the stock springs are really tight and I can not get to my max timing until I rev above 4500. Does anyone else have any experiance with this. I know I am probably not describing this very well. I was setting my timing at 34 at 2500 rpms.

I would guess it all depends on how your engine is built. The stock msd setup sucked for my 360/390HP engine. I changed my msd distributor over to the Black 18 degree bushing and the 2 silver (light) springs that is supplied with new msd distributors from the stock settings. At 34 degrees total timing it made a night and day difference in my performance at the track, knocked .5 off my ET in the 1/8 mile. Most of that .5 was in the first 60'. The car was running really poorly when I had installed the msd out of the box with stock springs and bushing.

Also, a member on here has made some bushings for those for a shorter advance than what MSD sells. Sorry.....don't remember

Thanks so much for that info on your car. It is very similar sounding to my issue. I will try the two silvers and the black and see what happens. Thanks again.

light silvers or a blue and light silver spring and the black bushing should help a bunch.

-
Back