Timing Question

-

ValiantMike

Reaction score
I just started up my 318 that I added mild-ported 302 heads, Compcam XE268 with new chain, gear, springs, retainers, etc., and new set of Spitfire headers. Motor has Edelbrock Performer with 750 Holley, and Mallory dual-point distributor. Its in a 1964 Valiant with 4spd and 3.91 gears. My question is, what should I set timing at? Right now I set distributor where it was before the changes and engine roars like a bear and idles real nice with a slightly noticeable lope, but I'd really like to know if there is a recommended timing set for this setup. Thanks Mike

i have a 318, j-heads, eddie perf rpm, msd 6a ign, comp .480/280. I run 14* initial and comes out to about 36* total on 91 oct.

Mike, how did you arrive at those numbers? Did you go through a trial and error phase, or just knew that those numbers were the ones.? Thanks Mike

once you do mods there is no set numbers . Some people use egts to time it and others like me use the old foot on the brake in gear idled op method advancing dis. till it rattles and backing off a little. advance is good as long as temps dont rise dramatically . I think on a 318 you want no more than about 34 degrees total though

You want your initial timing set at the maximum advance your combination will handle. This is how you find it:

Set it at 12° BTDC and run the engine up to operating temp.

Shut it off and let it sit for 5 minutes to let the temperature spike.

Fire it back up. If it starts freely, advance the timing 2° and shut it off.

Let the temp spike again.

Fire it up again. Did it start freely or did it pull the starter down like your battery is weak?

Keep adding 2° until it pulls the starter down when you try to start it hot.

Back it off 2° and lock it down. You are set. Write it down.

This is the best way to set initial timing in any setup.

on a small block i always atrat at 35* total timing . then +/- till it runs best.. just make sure that all the timing is in buy 2200-2400 rpm. you may have to tweel the dizt to get a good initial setting too...

the new mopar enthusiast magazine has a great article in it about tuning the curve of your dist. and how to find the best settings for your car.

-
Back