Timing set opinions anyone....

-

MoparMower

Reaction score
How do yall feel about CAT drive timing gear sets?? The chain on my 440 is toast and i was thinking about switching to one of these cat drive sets..

Tried one. The warehouse was really close by. And I was bored. Ran it for a bit,then pulled it. The metal was soft,wasn't heat treated or cheap material or whatever. Don't think it would have lasted long. Still got it around here somewhere,disassembled in a Tupperware container....think I might look for a chart online and spark test that thing.

The JP or Rollmaster is about the best you can buy. They are the same part. One company bought out the other. I think it is all JP now, if I remember right. Timing sets are one area you do not want to cut corners on.

Rollmaster or Summit Racing - (made by Trickflow) - I have a Summit Racing chain set and like it - has Trickflow stamp on the cam gear..

I don't care what anyone says about Cloyes, I still use their double roller timing sets, and they have never given me an issue.

Rollmaster or Summit Racing - (made by Trickflow) - I have a Summit Racing chain set and like it - has Trickflow stamp on the cam gear..

Just throwing this out there for general information.
Trickflow was a local company who I believe started with a small block Ford head. But now Summit owns Trickflow. They bought them out.

Alright mopar heads, so i got my gear drive set in (non noisy) i know a couple of yall aposed it, but it was conveniant and not too expinsive. I really only needed it to get the car running good enough to get back and forth to my buddies garage to do some more in depth work. But anyway, NOW i need some ideas for a good cam with decent duration, 3 bolt, that i can use with my stock 906 heads.
I will be getting the heads machined at some point with a small deck job and some hardened seats. So what would be a good cam for this aplication?

Do you plan on changing springs? Refresh us on your application. Gears, converter etc....

If i need stiffer springs then its no peoblem to get some, the heads are very low milage though so i dont really know if ill need new ones. And as far as aplication, im building a street brawler that i can cruse around on the weekends and run it at the drag strip occasionally. 72' Duster w/73' 440, Holley 750 double pumper (might be replacing that but well see), eddie victor intake manifold, long tube mandrel bent headers (dont know the brand or exact size because the car came with them on it), and flowmaster super 40s.
A727, reverse valve body, 3800 stall converter, and an 8.75 rear.

Havnt been insode the engine yet so honestly it might already have an aftermarket cam because the guy i got it from saod the last owner drag raced it, but he had no idea about anything done to the car.

a gear drive in my opinion is the best, steady timing you can get and it stays that way forever. i'm pleased that you decided on one. after my first one i'll never use a chain again and haven't. my tow truck even has one.

Hey thanks bOb!
Thats mainly why i went with them so i wouldnt have to mess with the timing again later, one less thing to worry about! Now i just gota decide on a cam! Ill be purchasing it as soon as i get paid this weekend ;) im thinking about going with a purple cam.. iv herd of a lot of people who runo them and are pretty happy with it.

-
Back