Timing tab

-

richierichpoky

Reaction score
Recently acquired 68 barracuda has 360 w cast water pump and original location power steering. Can't see driverside timing marks. What can I do about this.??? Can I put old style pass side timing tab on and Mark new timing marks on damper?? I heard once that timing marks are 90 deg off between pass side and driver side marks is that true.???.

I bought a passenger side timing marker here on the forum. The pre 68 small blocks used a bolt on passenger side one. I lined up the drivers side one with the engine off and made a mark with a dremel tool on the damper on the passenger side to line up with TDC on my new timing tab. You could also use a timing stop to do it.

I have heard the 90 degree thing too, but don’t know if it is true.

Now that is a good idea. So the passenger side tab will still bolt on w the newer style cover??

Yep, bolts right on. I think I paid $20 shipped. Put a wanted ad on here & you will find one.

The pre 68 had bolt on timing markers, 68,69 had them cast into the cover on the pass side. 70 and later had them cast into the driver side.

Find true tdc and mark the damper where it lines up with pass side marker tdc. And the earlier pointers will bolt on.

Recently acquired 68 barracuda has 360 w cast water pump and original location power steering. Can't see driverside timing marks. What can I do about this.??? Can I put old style pass side timing tab on and Mark new timing marks on damper?? I heard once that timing marks are 90 deg off between pass side and driver side marks is that true.???.
I have the correct timing tab for sale if you need one. PM me.

Jake

I have heard the 90 degree thing too, but don’t know if it is true
I can say with 100 percent certantity they are NOT 90 off. My 67 273 had the front cover replaced some time ago (before the internet, but after 99 percent of all the wrecking yards no longer had SB mopars with the older cover) so i have both. Recently i checked timing on both markers and one was about 10 deg IIRC off the other. (There was a post about this in the last 6 months or so)

Yes, buy a timing tab that bolts on the lower bolts of the water pump and mark TDC according to those marks...

Sounds like the best and easiest way is to remove steering pump, wrench it over til timing mark is 0 at driverside mark and then add a new mark on passenger side that matches 0 on bolt on tab

Sounds like the best and easiest way is to remove steering pump, wrench it over til timing mark is 0 at driverside mark and then add a new mark on passenger side that matches 0 on bolt on tab

You can do it without removing ps pump with the engine cold and a flashlight.

Easiest is to wrench it over to TDC on the original tab, and just make a new mark where the passenger visible bolt on goes. you can make one with a piece of thin sheet metal and some pliers.
Mopar-Oem-Small-Block-Timing-Tab-273-318.jpg

While that is correct, you may as well verify TRUE tdc with a piston stop before making the mark.

My 68 318 had bolt on timing scale. My 68 340 had cast in timing scale. Seems mid year 68.

-
Back