Timing

-

1974 dart

Reaction score
Me being the dumbass I am put the spark plugs all off one and now they are all in correct spot but the car won't start?? What did I do

I was just asking if you did. If you did not then you don't have it wired correctly.

No I did not pull it and I checked all my wires and they all seem to be in the correct spot so is there a possibility it ruined something else?? Or maybe just flooded now??

If it's backfiring it is trying to fire, just not correctly. It is possible you flooded it and when it tried to fire it went boom.

Double and triple check your wiring order. If all you did was pull the wires and put them back on there has to be a problem there.

Was it running BEFORE you pulled the wires?

If it's backfiring it is trying to fire, just not correctly. It is possible you flooded it and when it tried to fire it went boom.

Double and triple check your wiring order. If all you did was pull the wires and put them back on there has to be a problem there.

Was it running BEFORE you pulled the wires?

I was going to replace the plug wires last night but did not get to it but already had the wires off so I put them back on and when I did I put them in the wrong order and it backfired, now they are all in right order and all it does is cranks no backfire

No reason to assume that no1 wire is in the correct "by the book" place, here is what you do, and you REALLY need to learn this if you are gonna work on these.

You need to do TWO things:

1--Determine when the no1 piston is on the compression stroke (coming up, building compression, and getting ready to fire)

2--The timing mark comes around every crank revolution, the compression cycle is every OTHER revolution, so you need to match (1) above with the timing mark.

This is EASY to do. Pull the no1 plug, put your finger in the hole, and use a remote starter button, or a screwdriver to "bump" the starter. On the starter relay, just jumper across the big stud to the smaller exposed terminal.

You might have to "go round" once or twice until you "get" what you are looking for. "Bump" until you START to feel compression on your finger. Then look for the timing mark which may not yet, but should immediately "coming around" to the timing marks. Try to bump the engine so the marks are somewhere between (estimate) 10-20 degrees before TDC.

Now simply pull the cap and look where the rotor is pointing, and carefully determine which plug tower the rotor is adjacent to

Plug your no1 wire into that tower, and go CW from there with the firing order.

No reason to assume that no1 wire is in the correct "by the book" place, here is what you do, and you REALLY need to learn this if you are gonna work on these.

You need to do TWO things:

1--Determine when the no1 piston is on the compression stroke (coming up, building compression, and getting ready to fire)

2--The timing mark comes around every crank revolution, the compression cycle is every OTHER revolution, so you need to match (1) above with the timing mark.

This is EASY to do. Pull the no1 plug, put your finger in the hole, and use a remote starter button, or a screwdriver to "bump" the starter. On the starter relay, just jumper across the big stud to the smaller exposed terminal.

You might have to "go round" once or twice until you "get" what you are looking for. "Bump" until you START to feel compression on your finger. Then look for the timing mark which may not yet, but should immediately "coming around" to the timing marks. Try to bump the engine so the marks are somewhere between (estimate) 10-20 degrees before TDC.

Now simply pull the cap and look where the rotor is pointing, and carefully determine which plug tower the rotor is adjacent to

Plug your no1 wire into that tower, and go CW from there with the firing order.

I took the plug out and found out where number one was and it started up!! Thanks for the help its much appreciated !

-
Back