tin foil and mothers wheel polish?????

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
anyone ever hear of using tin foil and wheel polish to clean something like stainless tail pipes??

i know i never did.. lol

picked up a set of tail pipes for my mustang. couldn't beat the price and they looked like they would clean up.. i tell a friend about them and he says fold up some tin foil kinda a sponge shape (says you can also use diet coke instead of the tin foil) and use mothers wheel polish on them and it will clean them right up.. then continue to polish with a soft towel...

well i did it and holy **** it worked..... couldn't believe it..

here are a few crappy cell photos.

i think the one i cleaned was even worse then the dirty one in this picture..

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

83B3D453-8BEB-45CA-A7AB-901C7A3CFDB8.jpg

558EB32E-644E-4ED4-822E-F10A6E4787DD.jpg

this is after hitting it with polish and a micro fiber towel.. still gonna polish it up more.. i can see myself in the damn thing..

F406E3AD-828C-46B5-BE59-EE7D91CE2F56.jpg

42EE4D14-EC4C-4C7B-AD58-3EAC6148C886.jpg

i couldn't believe it worked so well. the tin foil went over the surface real smooth..

apparently its just corse enough to clean the crap off but not scratch the original finish..

That looks great! You're sure that the tin foil didn't scratch the SS? My exhaust system on my Yamaha FJR is stainless. I'm thinkin I might give it a try.

yea there are no scratches.. if you are worried about it just do a little spot that you can't see so well first..

i've heard of tinfoil / polish to make rusty chrome bumpers somewhat acceptable

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkHyARsjNEg"]Remove Rust from Chrome in Seconds with Coke and ...... - YouTube[/ame]

This method has been around for years..........

Auto Restorer magazine had a reader-submitted article on this way back when.....

I happened to be watching that tv show "American Restorations" awhile back, when i paid attention where Rick gives out tips in how to do certain tasks.
He did a segment how to bring old, dull, chrome back to life.
Crumpled up some tin foil, and diped it in some water, and went to town on a piece of chromed metal.
And it worked.
So i gave it a try on a pair of chromed hemi valve covers that haven't been cleaned up in decades, being in garage storage forever.
Boy oh boy, it worked great.
Was i ever impressed.
Then i put them up for sale on one of the web sites, and they sold quick.
Give it a try. You don't have anything to loose.

-
Back