Tips for applying to work as a Mechanic...

-
That Ricart dealership is HUGE! Good luck I bought a few cars there and My sister in law was top salesperson two years in a row. I will be in Columbus for Thanksgiving too:) They have traffic lights and everything on their property.

Congrats on the new job! Let us know how you like it.

Yeah what is up with the whole expensive tool box deal? When I worked at a dealership, every single mechanic had a huge over the top tool box. When they'd open the drawer to get a tool out, the tools would be like 8 inches apart because they didn't have enough to fill it up. I guess I just don't understand that whole deal.

Good luck in the new job.

I went to Basic and AIT in the Army Reserve to be a "63B" aka "Light" wheel vehicle mechanic back in 1987. The Army was short and paid a 6k signing bonus. When I returned home to my reserve unit I went to the local VoTech school to get my associates. In the meantime I worked at a local Montgomery Wards bustin tires and doing batteries and alternators. I started out with a four drawer box and a roll around cart. By the time I graduated in 1990 I was running a local shop and in 1991 I tested for and recieved my ASE Master Tech cert. Fall 1991 I started taking college courses. Summer 1994 was the last time I worked as a mechanic for a living.

The tool trucks, yep they can be dangerous. I always paid cash. Helped with the decision process as well. I would say buy one of the medium sized Craftsman boxes - when you have the money saved up - it will go a long way. Definately get the roller drawers, they are worth the money. Buy everything you need in the Craftsman or Kobalt, then only look at a few select tools from Matco/MAC/Snap-On. I bought a Matco 1/2" Impact in 1990 that I still use today. A little oil goes a long way. I also picked up a pair of thier 3/8 ratchets, a 1/4 drive set, 3/8 universal, 1/2 universal some 3/8 swivel impact sockets. I think I have two Snap-On wrenches. I limited my truck purchase to items I really needed. For example I have a 3/8 drive 1/2 12 point socket because I was breaking a Craftsman socket about every two weeks in that size.

What amazes me is how much companies around here have cut to the bone. The NTB next to where I work is short staffed to the point they are constantly losing business. I wanted to buy tires there, but there was no way the one guy working the counter and the two guys working in the back could get to it in the next 4 hours. They have a ten bay shop and I have never seen more than two guys working there. I even offered to mount and balance them myself. Instead, next afternoon called the Goodyear 2 miles from my house and made a deal with the guy on the phone. I dropped the car off and walked with my kids to the pizza place next door. Came back an hour later and the car was sitting next to the door done and waiting. The hell with saving $20, give me service like that!

Remember one thing. The customers pay the bills. Treat them like you want to be treated and it will all work out. It is really hard to get customers to trust you in this business, but a great reputation is priceless. In August 1990 the US Army 3rd Armored Calvary division left El Paso and went to Saudi Arabia. Within months most of the shops around us went out of business. We were so busy we were appointment only and primarily did work for returning customers. We had a shop tow truck free for our customers and a shop runner that would use the boss' Bronco to take customers to work after they dropped off their cars. Once a regular customer blew his engine in Eagle Pass, TX about two weeks after I recommended he replace his radiator hoses. He didn't of course. My boss drove the shop tow truck (454 with a 4 speed) to get him. I think the guy paid for the gas. That is about 950 miles round trip. My boss called me from Eagle Pass and we had a new long block sitting on the shop floor ready and waiting before he returned. Do you think that customer ever went anywhere else to even get his oil changed? Or his neighbors, his family, his co-workers?

Drake, I've kinda held off on my 2 cents but here it is. I've turned wrenches professionally since 1974. Best advice I can give you is this. Don't take anything that any potential service manager says at face value. Most of them are crooks and full of ****. You need to look out for number one. The customer. They are your bread and butter. Don't upsale needless things. A very wise man once told me this: "When a man gets the larceny in him, it's hard to get it out.", and he was dead right. This is one of the main reasons why I've worked for so many people through the years because I was not going to work for someone dishonest. Most of these national chains are nothin but a numbers racket. This month has to be better than last and so on. That's all they give a damn about. I said all that to say this. Be honest with your customers. By doing that, you're being honest with yourself. Get to know them. Talk to them. Don't let some stupid *** salesman or service manager cut you off from that. You'll gain a reputation. A good one. Keep a rolodex with ALL of your customers names, addresses and phone numbers. That way, if you leave one job and go to the next, you'll have a customer base. And follow up on it. Call them and let them know. They'll appreciate it. That's how I had my own business. I left a job and literally overnight I was runnin my own show because I had my customer base. They trusted and knew me and knew I wouldn't rip them off. You'll never get rich as a mechanic, but you'll make a good livin if you stay honest. Although I've been disabled a while now, you can still shoot my name around Macon and get positive comments. That's about all I got.

...........Good luck with ur new job, sounds pretty cool..........dont b afraid 2 ask questions as every1 needs help once in awhile...........kim............

-
Back