Tips for applying to work as a Mechanic...

-

RustyDusty

Rabid Cross-eyed Opossum!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm in dire need of some money right now, so I'm pursuing a second job as a Mechanic. I'm going to school right now for auto tech and have attended a quarter and a half so far, with straight A's. I was planning on getting a few ASE certs before trying to apply for a job at a nice dealer. Unfortunately life hit me, and now I am needing money YESTERDAY so I will apply at lower level places. I know a lot of you own your own shops or are mechanics. My question to you is, what are some tips for applying as an entry level mechanic at a Tuffy, Firestone, etc? For now I just need quick money. I know how to Mount/Balance tires, and all the basic stuff. I'm very fluent with suspension and brakes since I've played with that stuff my whole driving life with my Jeep and other friend's SUVs, and have a few suspension and brake classes under my belt.

Also I've heard Firestone will pay for your ASE tests, and if you pass they'll give you $200. Is that true?

Thanks for the help!
Drake

Over here, to be a motor mechanic, you do an Apprenticeship ( usually 4 years )...and do block training at TAFE college's.
I did my apprenticeship in 3 years, because of prior knowledge & training.....then after 5 years, I did the exam to be an Inspector of Second Motorvehicles up to 4.5t GVM, all trailers up to 3.5t GVM, Caravans & boat trailers, and motorcycles.
I don't know how the system works over there.

just let them know you looking to learn and will to do new stuff. tell them you don,t lie and you want to help them make money. inspection are the bread and butter of the repair shop.if you find them work they will like you.lrt them know you are willing to go the extra mile to get on board. must shops will pay for cert. but youll need to pass them if taken.when interveiwing show so energy and be homble on what you know. good luck

just let them know you looking to learn and will to do new stuff. tell them you don,t lie and you want to help them make money. inspection are the bread and butter of the repair shop.if you find them work they will like you.lrt them know you are willing to go the extra mile to get on board. must shops will pay for cert. but youll need to pass them if taken.when interveiwing show so energy and be homble on what you know. good luck

X2.

If I were in the position to hire it would be someone at an entry level position, but someone who's willing to learn. Someone I can trust to get out the basic jobs, like brakes and suspension, done my way. So the ability to listen and learn will be the biggest thing you can state on an interview. Being able to take constructive criticism is also a big plus.

I would set my sites on quick lube stations for now. There is a lot to learn there that school wont teach you and a little bit of money too. Tire stores suck , espesially in the winter.

IF you get a job as a tire buster ... take it .. they usually end up mechanics !

The main thing is tell them what you have done and what you want to do. Let them know you can be a team player. Don't tell them you can do things that your not sure of

Get use to changing oil for a few years and when you apply make sure you look like your ready to go right to work don't walk in in a suit and tie.

Drake, You've already passed the first test. You're smart enough to ask. That's a plus in your favor. I'm not a mechanic but have employed many people in my time and i'll clue ya in on what i look for, thus giving you a perspective from the other side of the fence. Be honest. Let em know that you are smart enough to know that if you cant make them money then they dont need you. Even if you are an oil changer, keep your head in the game. You know what's ok in and under a car so while you're under that unit, look around and when you spot something that needs attention let the right people know. That will make the company money and protect the guy or gal driving the car. Who knows, the 30 seconds of you looking around may save a life. You're in the service industry so provide just that. Im my world i dont mind paying for service....good service. Dont forget to tighten the drain plug.
Good luck and we're behind ya.
Small Block

Rule #1...Take your own pen and make sure it is a good one that writes!

That is a killer. I would bet that 90% of the people that come in to apply do not have a pen. I always ask "Your out applying for jobs but don't have a pen to fill out the application? I wonder what kind of impression that makes?".

1. They might actually get a pen before the next stop.
2. You get to test how they would react under pressure.
3. You figure out the weak ones just turn around, duck their head and walk away. :facepalm:

Im ASE certified in 3 areas and cant even for the life of me get a job at McDonalds.I work at my cousins shop doing auto body and painting but its only by the job and all the body shops are slow so theyre not hiring.My friend that was working at MAACO even had to get laid off because it was slow,im not working full time.He calls me in when there is a car that needs to be fixed .The job market really sucks and my town being a college town,all the students snag all the jobs.
But yeah,applying as an apprentice is a good way to start,work with the master techs.I started out changing oil,good way to get your foot in the door.Do you have your own tools?That helps out alot too.Good luck!

First impressions carry a lot of weight, so dress neatly but don't overdress. Be 100% honest. Show confidence. You've got to sell yourself but don't brag or boast. Point out your positive attributes. Can they depend on you? Let them know you really want to work and you want to work for them! Any qualifications are good to share but displaying a very positive, motivated attitude is more important than skills or education. I've hire a lot more folks based on attitude than education or skills. With the right attitude anyone can be trained.

Good luck!

I would talk about your experience, more than how great you do in school....

Coming from the truck driver side of things, school means you need to be re-brained. School drivers are dangerous, and have gotten an attitude from school that "we" who didn't go to school are doing it wrong..... My problem is, I never didn't get a job I wanted, so I don't know how to impress people. I like the apprenticship idea, I think thats how it SHOULD be.

I have been a tech over 30 years,last 20 where i'm at now and have seen many come and go.A sincere willingness to work,desire to learn.good attitude,and some mech aptitude will help a lot. State your expirence and strengths,be honest,they will find out! Buy a basic set of tools so that you are ready to work.Ask about state inspection and ase cert,most require or will want you to get them.If training is offered use it,our A-Body technology is light years behind anything made in the last 5 years,alltho not allways better IMO! Dont complain about work you get,I have a MasterAuto Tech with L1 cert and still do an oil change when needed.Good luck, its a great job I love to do what I do keep us posted Greg

I have been working as a tech for about a year now. I switched careers in my late 30s. (I'm 40 now) I was in the printing industry for 15 years and it was going nowhere so I decided to pursue what I love, which was cars.

I went to school and 'got all A's' yada yada yada. School only gives you a basic knowledge of automotive systems but does not necessarily prepare you to be successful in the field. Some shops/dealers will hire you as a 'helper' with a school background but as stated above, be prepared to do about a million oil changes, tire rotations and 'multi-point inspections'.

Don't even think about going on flat rate until you've got at least a solid year of working everyday doing b-level stuff. It will be tough to make any sort of 'good money' until you can beat the clock on jobs like timing belts etc. Oil changes generally pay about .2/hr, so you need to do a lot of them to have it be profitable.

ASE certs are all fine and good but not necessary - I have 5 but they don't do anything for me. I can put a plaque up on the wall, that's about it. Independent shops value them a little more than dealers because dealerships like you to have factory training. Like any other job, work experience is the best. it's a tough situation to be in where you have no experience while trying to get a job. Does your school have a job placement deal? Mine did but I never got anything through it.

I got my job on my own, just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I was also willing to do grunt work and low level jobs for as long as it took to get to the next level. I was paired with one of the best techs in our shop as a helper. In turn for him being able to 'put his number' on the jobs I do, he's basically taught me the ropes. I've learned more at work than I could have ever hoped to learn at school. Turns out I'm making him some good money. I basically just work on my own and ask him for help/pointers only if I really need to. I've been lucky to be in this situation, it's been invaluable. The Chrysler Academy (factory training) is my next step to making 'real' money.

You will absolutely need a basic set of professional tools and a box, you will be lost without that unless the shop you apply to is willing to let you use what they have. (not likely) There are some guys who will happily lend tools, there are some who won't unless there's something in it for them. You don't want to be the guy who keeps asking for an oil filter wrench, impact gun or torque stick. You'll learn quickly what you can't get by without and will buy accordingly when the tool guys come around.

If you get a job, be punctual and don't goof off - a cell phone is not a tool for fixing cars. Show energy and go about your work in a methodical manner and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Hope that helps. :-D

IF you get a job as a tire buster ... take it .. they usually end up mechanics !

This is true! I did that back in 1980,worked my way up to tech. The store paid for my tech school and my ASE certs. I now teach automotive at the tech school I went to way back then!!! Good luck in your search!!

Alright guys, just wanted to update you on this.

First of all... Thanks a lot for your tips! I tried to implement as many of them as I could. Thanks to your help I snagged a job at Ricart, a huge dealership here, as an apprentice. Ricart hires on students from my school to work as apprentices if they like you. Apparently it's hard to get a job there. Once the dealer feels like you're ready to go flat-rate they either keep you at the shop you were trained at, or ship you off to one of their many other shops to work. I start in the beginning of January, I can't wait! I'm looking forward to working on newer cars! I won't have to get a torch, penetrating oil, a hammer, wax, and a lot of cussing out at every bolt.

Thanks again FABO!

Cheers,
Drake

Cool, newer cars are much easier to diagnose for the most part.

Learn their test equipment and shop information systems well.

Strong electrical diagnose skills will earn you much respect, but if not, a good attitude and work ethic will keep you on their good side.

I know some veteran techs can be brutally nasty and rude to the new guys but you have to have a thick skin and let things roll off to earn their respect.

Learn as much as you can, and if you don't like it after a year or so you will have learned a hell of alot of new skills that you can take elsewhere.

Don't fall for the "you ain't cool if you don't have the toolbox as expensive as the boss's mortgage" trick.

Get yourself a cheap *** craftsman three tiered box and you will be able to hold the same tools as the guy that will be paying for his box for the next 15 years as opposed to the one you paid cash for today, and yours will last just as long-get the roller bearing drawers.

Snap on tools are great but craftsman will do the same thing although you will be tempted form time to step onto the magic snap on toy center on wheels which is fine, just dont go crazy- wife's and G/F's don't like debt.

Good luck with school don't stop with the basic stuff go for it all you can never learn enough.And about the tools craftsman tools are fine i have been an aircraft mechanic most of my working life and my workmates kidded me about my tools till i bought the same type of tool for more than half what my friend did then i added insult to injury by saying when's the last time you had to wait for a sears tool truck come around

Good luck with school don't stop with the basic stuff go for it all you can never learn enough.And about the tools craftsman tools are fine i have been an aircraft mechanic most of my working life and my workmates kidded me about my tools till i bought the same type of tool for more than half what my friend did then i added insult to injury by saying when's the last time you had to wait for a sears tool truck come around

I used to laugh when the guys would make fun of my "sissy" Craftsman box.
I would say "so which one will be paid off first in 15 years, your house or your big snap on box."

Ohh, they would shut right up, lol.

Cool, newer cars are much easier to diagnose for the most part.

Learn their test equipment and shop information systems well.

Strong electrical diagnose skills will earn you much respect, but if not, a good attitude and work ethic will keep you on their good side.

I know some veteran techs can be brutally nasty and rude to the new guys but you have to have a thick skin and let things roll off to earn their respect.

Learn as much as you can, and if you don't like it after a year or so you will have learned a hell of alot of new skills that you can take elsewhere.

Don't fall for the "you ain't cool if you don't have the toolbox as expensive as the boss's mortgage" trick.

Get yourself a cheap *** craftsman three tiered box and you will be able to hold the same tools as the guy that will be paying for his box for the next 15 years as opposed to the one you paid cash for today, and yours will last just as long-get the roller bearing drawers.

Snap on tools are great but craftsman will do the same thing although you will be tempted form time to step onto the magic snap on toy center on wheels which is fine, just dont go crazy- wife's and G/F's don't like debt.

we always used to say dont get f**ked by the strap on truck!!

I would say start small if you want to get in quick. My son started at Pep Boys as an installer (slightly over minimum wage) and gradually started doing bigger and bigger jobs (of course, management loved that...) and then he was well-versed in doing suspension work, brakes and running the alignment machine....he moved up to mechanic. All this happened in about a year and a half. Now....there was an opening at my work (city bus system) and he got hired there, even tho' he didn't have tons of experience. I think maybe they liked the fact that he had 3 years of college under his belt already. Plus, I think he comes across as a "go-getter".

If you need to get something quick, settle for whatever wage they throw out. When I got outta the military, I hadn't wrenched in 4 years so it wasn't easy to get hired back into a shop. I got on at a small independent shop.....they also hired a lot of guys who just got out of jail, so.....you know the deal.....yup, low pay for sure. I only stayed on for about less than a year. Just enough to get my "feel" back and moved on.

Have dirty fingernails, tools, no life, and don't be super talkative unless coaxed by interviewer, cause no one wants a guy whos gonna fart around all day bs'n everyone else and distracting.

-
Back