Tips for installing transmission?

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
right now I have no tranny in the car. the engine is in the car. its a built 318. i have a new TCI torqueflight 727 that i'll be bolting onto the engine. i've neve installed a transmission before and i have only a general idea of what i'm doing. pretty much just going to follow the service manual to get it done.

also the new tranny from summit didn't come with any levers or anyting on it. what levers am i going to need to buy? there will need to be some sort of lever for the shift linkage or something right?

is this going to be based on what shifer i decide to put?

thanks FABO members. any help is great

When istalling the torque convertor,hold the center and spin and push it in til you feel it bottom out.Also when I bought my B&M star shifter,it came with an assortment of shifter brackets(levers)Mopar,GM and a Ford one.Hope this helps.

P.S Also make sure your motor is level when installing tranny,it will make installing easier!:read2:

When istalling the torque convertor,hold the center and spin and push it in til you feel it bottom out.Also when I bought my B&M star shifter,it came with an assortment of shifter brackets(levers)Mopar,GM and a Ford one.Hope this helps.

P.S Also make sure your motor is level when installing tranny,it will make installing easier!:read2:
the tranny is bare right now. so are the brackets/levers that the shifter comes with all that you need?

or is there some kind of OEM shift lever that the additional aftermarket brackets hook up 2? let me know.

All aftermarket shifters I have used have came with all the brackets to hook up the shifter. But you'll need the throttle pressure linkage (kickdown) bracket and linkage to hook up to the carb or you'll burn up the transmission.

Oh yeah. Cross your fingers, legs, eyes and anything else you can cross for luck that the TCI (total crap Inc.) transmission will work right and last. I have read innumerable reports of guys having problems with them and about 3 guys that got good ones.

As you are bolting the bellhousing bolts make sure you can spin the converter before completely tightening them up. If you would happen to not have the converter all the way in and would tighten the bellhousing bolts all the way up you could possibly crack the pump.
Also agree with the kickdown lever suggestion, dont run it without it hooked up properly or you could burn the tranny up right away.I believe lokar has a pretty slick cable setup to replace the stock one.

thanks for the suggestions. not sure exactly what this stuff means, but i will keep in in mind for sure.

i really hope this tranny isn't a P.O.S. because i spend alot of money on it. money that i probably shouldn't be investing into my car anyways. but we'll c what happens.

I have installed the engine/tranny numerous ways..... I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this, but it seemed the easiest when the tranny was bolted to the engine and I put it in as a unit....

You will find that the conveter will only bolt up to the flexplate one way, its always a good idea to figure that out and mark it while the tranny is out, I usually squirt some spray paint on it.

i really hope this tranny isn't a P.O.S. because i spend alot of money on it. money that i probably shouldn't be investing into my car anyways. but we'll c what happens.

I hope it's good too. Nothing more aggravating that spending money on something that doesn't work.

I have installed the engine/tranny numerous ways..... I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this, but it seemed the easiest when the tranny was bolted to the engine and I put it in as a unit....

No flack from me. That's the way I like to do it too. The less laying on my back the more I like it.

Idid the cracked pump deal once myself. If it feels like it will not bolt all the way up don't force it. Chances are you don't have converter in all the way.

wish i could do this, but it'd probably take me more work to do that. because i'd have to first remove the engine and then install both the engine and tranny @ the same time..

You will find that the conveter will only bolt up to the flexplate one way, its always a good idea to figure that out and mark it while the tranny is out, I usually squirt some spray paint on it.

and i'm not 100% sure that i know what you're talking about on the torque converter only bolting up one way to the flexplate. how do u know what way it needs to bolt up?

and i'm not 100% sure that i know what you're talking about on the torque converter only bolting up one way to the flexplate. how do u know what way it needs to bolt up?

What he's saying is the mounting bolts aren't evenly spaced. One bolt is offset. Measure them and you'll see. It only bolts up one way.

FIRST,,,,,MAKE SURE YOU FILL THE CONVERTER WITH FLUID BEFORE U INSTALL IT ON THE FRONT OF THE TRANNY,,,,

what they are trying to say is this,,,the converter slides on to the front of the tranny,,,on the motor side of the converter there are 4 nuts welded to the converter,,that the flex plate bolts to,,,the flex plate bolts to the crank shaft 6 bolts,,,

the 4 threaded nuts on the converter are not evenly spaced,,so the flex plate only fits the converter one way,,,before you try to bolt the tranny to the motor,,fill the converter,,slide it on the shaft of the tranny,,make sure you feel it go in to the front pump,,,if the converter is sticking out past the front mounting flange of the tranny it is not in all the way,,twist it while pushing it in,,,

then put the flex plate on the converter and get all 4 holes to line up,,,spray a little paint on one of the holes of the flex plate while it is matched up to the converter,,,then before you instal the tranny to the motor ,, install the flex plate to the back of the motor,,,when you put the tranny to the motor you wil line up the painted areas and bolting the converter to the tranny will be a breeze,,,also,,make sure you have the proper 6 bolts to the flex plate and crank shaft,,,,and the proper 4 bolts to the flex plate and converter,,,

FIRST,,,,,MAKE SURE YOU FILL THE CONVERTER WITH FLUID BEFORE U INSTALL IT ON THE FRONT OF THE TRANNY,,,,

what they are trying to say is this,,,the converter slides on t othe front of the tranny,,,on the motor side of the converter there are 4 nuts welded to the converter,,that the flex plate bolts to,,,the flex plate bolts to the crank shaft 6 bolts,,,

the 4 threaded nuts on the converter are not evenly spaced,,so the flex plate only fits the converter one way,,,before you try to bolt the tranny to the motor,,fill the converter,,slide it on the shaft of the tranny,,make sure you feel it go in to the front pump,,,if the converter is sticking out past the frotn mounting flange of the tranny it is not in all the way,,twist it while pushing it in,,,

then put the flex plate on the converter and get all 4 holes to line up,,,spray a little paint on one of the holes of the flex plate while it is matched up to the converter,,,then before you instal the tranny to the motor ,, install the foex plate to the back of the motor,,,when you put the tranny to the motor you wil line up the painted areas and bolting the converter to the tranny will be a breeze,,,also,,make sure you have the proper 6 bolts to the flex plate and crank shaft,,,,and the proper 4 bolts to the flex plate and converter,,,
thanks. makes ALOT more sense to me now.

i've dont yet fully understand how a tranny goes together.. so i'll definitely be reading these tips as i'm underneath the car. lol

thanks for the tips..

When the converter is all the way in the trans. it actually sits about 1/2-3/4" below the front end of the transmission bellhousing. If you look at the back of the engine you'll notice the flexplate sticks out. The converter has to be at least as far in below the surface of the bellhousing so it won't bind up against the flexplate and crank. When you put the trans up in place and start to tighten down the mounting bolts to the engine you'll know if the converter is all the way in cause it'll spin freely until you install the converter flexplate bolts. Keep checking it as you tighten the mounting bolts cause it's easy to break the front pump as was mentioned earlier. Sorry if this is repetitive but I figured it might help.

When the converter is all the way in the trans. it actually sits about 1/2-3/4" below the front end of the transmission bellhousing. If you look at the back of the engine you'll notice the flexplate sticks out. The converter has to be at least as far in below the surface of the bellhousing so it won't bind up against the flexplate and crank. When you put the trans up in place and start to tighten down the mounting bolts to the engine you'll know if the converter is all the way in cause it'll spin freely until you install the converter flexplate bolts. Keep checking it as you tighten the mounting bolts cause it's easy to break the front pump as was mentioned earlier. Sorry if this is repetitive but I figured it might help.
it may be a little repetitivee, but i don't mind. any and all advice is going to help!! so thanks.

this is why i love the internet. and i love this forum. without the internet or the forum, i could waste alot of time and effort trying to figure this stuff out...

getting ready to finally install the transmission very soon

the last question i have though is about acually mounting the transmission bellhousing to the back of the engine. do you use any type of sealant of gasket or anything? or do the surfaces just get bolted together and thats enough? thanks

From the front of the housing to the face of the ring gear is 1' 1/4" when fully seated. I usually have to fill the converter horizontal,slide it in, then stand the trans on end to get it fully seated, of 20 minutes of cussing.

I just got done reinstalling my 727 last saturday.....only the SECOND time I have ever installed a tranny.

Couple tips I got from various locations on the web, all which helped a great deal:

-- Buy a jack -- get the better one at Harbor Freight that has tilt adjustments. This jack allowed me to do the job by myself, with few issues.

-- get the front end of the car up as high as you can go....on jack, you will need a couple feet clearance to roll teh tranny out...put the back of the car up on stands too, to even out the car a bit.

--easier to remove/install the tranny with no headers/exhaust installed, but it can be done. The first install was without headers/exhaust.....the removal and reinstall was with both....and thats where the tilt adjustments come into play big time.

-- use a small c clamp to hold the torque converter inplace as you move the tranny around....

-- lay the flex plate in the torque converter while off the car, line up the bolt holes properly and mark the relationship clearly. This will make a huge difference in the install.

-- clean out the hole in the crankshaft and grease with wheel bearing grease.

-- when mounting the flex plate be sure its 100% seated right.

-- use locktight on the flex plate and torque converter bolts.

-- be sure you have BOTH dowel pins installed in the block before bolting up the tranny.

-- pour about a half a quart of fluid into the torque converter if new and empty.

-- once the tranny is bolted in, you should have to pull the converter to the flex plate just a bit....I had a gap of 3/16" between the pads on the converter and the flexplate ears. The converter should turn freely. Line up the marks made previously and start bolting.

No sealants or anything between the tranny and engine.....you arent sealing anything there.

Good luck! If I could do it TWICE, anyone can. LOL

Its a real feeling of accomplishment when you fire her up and she MOVES! LOL

thanks shadango. i'm sure i will be able to do it. and once i do one, i should be able to do it any other time also. lol

cant wait to fire her up and drive her down my street anoying the neighborhood!

cant wait to fire her up and drive her down my street anoying the neighborhood!

LOL I feel that.

When I got my tranny in, I HAD to take her around the block......open headers and all....:toothy10:

What a rush to drive the car for the very first time :-D

-
Back