Tips on bolting up a 727 to a 360

-

cidVicious

Reaction score
Hey A Body Experts,

I need a little help here on tips and tricks for aligning and bolting up a 727 to a 360 in an a body. For those of you who have done this before, I'm sure you know that there is very limited space for algining the transmission and getting the guide pins to slip in enough to get a few bolts in and sink up the transmission.

This engine/transmission combo came out of the same vehicle, so they were together when I got them but I pulled them appart for cleanup and installation. My 360 is in the engine bay, and the 727 is in the trans tunnel. Motor mounts have not been tightended so I can move the block around a bit. It also has headers installed (tight fit, ugh!); however, they are not tightend either, so there is a little wiggle room.

I can get the tranny moved up to within about 2 inches of the motor, but then I'm having trouble getting it to go any further. Alignment seems to be a bit off. Can any of you seasoned mechanics offer any tips or tricks on how to ease the transmission up to connect with the motor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The engine should be sitting "on the mounts" allowing the rear of the block to go down somewhat

The trans should NOT have the crossmember installed, allowing the rear of it to also go down. Make sure the converter is seated, and figure a way to tie/ wire it in place.

sometimes headless long bolts into the rear of the block in a couple of places helps.

I don't know about headers, I'd guess they need to be REAL loose (just a guess) so you can bet them spread a little.

it helps to put a little antiseize on the dowel pins. this will help them slide into the block

I have always found it 10000000000% easier to do these things like the factory did. From the bottom. It takes more time and you have to remove a few more things but really not a whole lot. It makes it sooooo much easier though. That way you can assemble engine, trans, K member and all and lower the car over it.

Great tips guys, keep them coming.

The parking brake cable is holding up the longer tailshaft on the 727 (used to have a 904), so it sounds like that may be one of the problems as it doesn't allow me to move the tailshaft down enough to raise the bellhousing. I think I need to disconnect that brake cable.

Good suggestion Stroker, I may have to resort to that method in the end. Even if I do get the transmission connected, getting the bolts in looks like that will be the next challenge.

Stroker is right per usual, but I didn't have acess to a hoist so I had to do it the old fashioned was using a cherry picker, as hard of a time as I had doing this there is no way I would put the tranny on from underneth, as 1 complete unit it wasn't to bad.

Attachments

• engine 1.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 195
  • engine 2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 191
You couldda used that cherry picker pretty as you please to lift the front of the car. It'll pick it WAY more than enough if you hook down low. Nice lookin small block, btw.

You couldda used that cherry picker pretty as you please to lift the front of the car. It'll pick it WAY more than enough if you hook down low. Nice lookin small block, btw.
Stroker: after I wrote my comment and read it I realized what you actually meant by doing it factory, i saw I think the Hemi guy that used the picker to raise the car and drop it down on the k member, brain fart, you know what I thought you were talking about. anyway I still think hooking up the tranny AFTER the motor is in is going to be a pain, I would bet hooking up a 904 would be much eaisier though.
and thanks for the complement.
tl

Stroker is right per usual, but I didn't have acess to a hoist so I had to do it the old fashioned was using a cherry picker, as hard of a time as I had doing this there is no way I would put the tranny on from underneth, as 1 complete unit it wasn't to bad.

X2 with 412 stroker. I have done it both ways and pullin the engine out and putting it back in one piece is the way to go. You need a helper or two to guide the unit in but you are not fishing for dowel pins or trying to keep the torque converter in, etc. It is so much simpler, JMHO

Just reading through this, I think you guys saved me a lot of time and headache. I'm going to borrow the hoist again and lift the engine back out enough to get the tranny hooked up and then slide it back into the tunnel. Having a buddy or two around to help (as well as plenty of beer) will certainly be a requirement for this job.

You guys ROCK!

Thanks for all the help,

Just reading through this, I think you guys saved me a lot of time and headache. I'm going to borrow the hoist again and lift the engine back out enough to get the tranny hooked up and then slide it back into the tunnel. Having a buddy or two around to help (as well as plenty of beer) will certainly be a requirement for this job.

You guys ROCK!

Thanks for all the help,
make sure NO BEER DRINKING until AFTER the motor and tranny is back in, trust me I know this!!!

nice motor 412 stroker, Although ive never liked that style intake engine lift I have always used a engine leveler attached to the heads (seems a little more secure in my opinion).

You can use a small "C" clamp to hold the torque converter in place by putting it at the bottom of the trans bellhousing, or even one of those cheap spring loaded clamps. I'm very careful about the converter now since years ago I got a little rough with one and broke the ears off the front pump.

-
Back