Tips on remove/install 71 Duster doors?

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a hindge repair kit for my 71 Duster and hope to repair the hindges and replace driver's side door tomorrow. It isn't obvious how to install the new spring (old one broke years ago). I'm assuming I want to install the hindges on the door first and then try to attach to the car. Top hindge first or bottom hindge? I'd sure prefer to read some good tips before I enter the school of hard knocks.
tx,
Ken

My method of servicing the hinges doesn't require removing any bolts.
I place a floor jack with piece of 4X4 under the opened door just high enough to catch its weight. I have a towel over an old wheel and tire to lay the door on when it comes off the car. A helper is recommended too since the doors are heavy and awkward to handle.
I use a dye grinder to cut the hinge pins so I can then drive out the remaining shorter pieces. I've used shop towels and/or duct tape to protect the painted edges of fenders and doors at reinstall.
New pin in upper hinge is installed from the bottom up.
It's not the answer you seek for replacing a door but may contain something helpful. Bumped too. Good luck

I think I just lost my first response.
RedFish
Thanks for the tip. Sounds like the way to go on the passenger side door. As for the driver's side - the door is off and I need to bore out the hindge to accept an oversize pin and then get things back together. There must be some lessons learned to make this easier than it looks. Also - I'm working alone with the exception that my wife may be available for some light lifting/balancing.
tx,
Ken

Not neccessarily the only or best way, but I have put the hinges on the body, bolts in loose enough to maintain some slop, set the door in place with the striker latched, then pivoting the hinge and getting those door bolts in. Even one in the top and bottom keeps the door off your foot if you need to open it to line up the rest of the holes. Like Redfish, I build a soft support under it, and ask for a second hand just to keep it from tipping. It's hard to keep it from falling when you're standing and holding it on the end.. so they say lol.

Grant

Thanks for the help. The hindge repair went well. I ended up putting the hindges and door back on without help. A bit of a headache but it seems to have ended well.

-
Back