Tire hitting fender

-

crshalladay

Reaction score
So I bought 17 inch wheels and tires following the sizing recommendations on FABO. The rear is awesome and the front drivers side has no problem clearing under any circumstances BUT.... the passenger side hits when turning the steering wheel. Any ideas? The front end is totally shot and needs to be rebuilt, could this be the culprit? Don't want to spend the money or waste the time rebuilding the front end and have the same problem.

What car? What tires? What rim specs?

And yes, if you're only hitting on one side and clear on the other, your alignment and the condition of your front bushings etc could definitely be to blame. But you won't know for sure until you fix it.

If you know the front end is shot, why risk an accident by not fixing it? Tires be damned man, if you have a problem, FIX IT!

Sorry I guess I should have clarrified better. I am NOT driving the car. It is a project. 1965 Barracuda. I bought 17x8 wheels with 4.5 inch backspacing. 225 tires. The car is blown apart for a complete restoration right now but when moving it (pushing, even though it runs) if I turn the steering wheel it contacts the front of the front fender. It sounds like by rebuilding the front end and having it aligned it will solve this problem. I just wanted peoples thoughts in case something else might be going on that someone had run into before me.

As for why did I put new wheels and tires on....the ones that were on it WOBBLED and the lug nuts were tight. So I put wilwood disc brakes on the front and an 8.25 inch rear end in which converted everything to a 4.5 inch bolt pattern.

And don't worry, everything that needs to be fixed will be, I just don't want to waste money rebuilding something just to have to tear it down again because something else was the problem. I want to fix all the issues at once if possible. It saves time and money.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

Wilwood disc brake kits move the wheels out 3/4" roughly. That mathematically changes the backspacing of your wheel from 4.5 to 3.75". This change pushes more of the tire/wheel to the outside towards the fender and thus closer to the lip especially when you turn the wheel.

2 choices. Get rims with more backspacing to get the wheel centered under the car better or raise the front end a bit more so you have a little more clearance/stiffer suspension then be careful when your turning the car.

Good luck.

The front end is totally shot and needs to be rebuilt, could this be the culprit? Don't want to spend the money or waste the time rebuilding the front end and have the same problem.

WHAT?????? should have spent the money on fixing the front end BEFORE buying rims and tires for it .

just what the innocent public needs. yet another old car riding around with a dangerous front end.

Ok, cool. Make sure car is roadworthy before driving it. Don't want to hear of ANYONE getting hurt driving their toy, or worse. Fix it first is what I plan to do also.

Well if he is like me :D likes to make it look good,than fix things,befor it hits the road.A buddy once said why paint the car first,i would built the engine first lol i said if she looks pretty ,well it motivates me,ever get tiered of a project that looks like hell than you down and out.just me.:toothy1:

new wheels and tires ( at least good tires), show be a top of list WHEN the car goes on the road!?? and when putting wheels on there it was never intended to use, for sure, the frontend needs rebuilt first if wore out!?????

So I put wilwood disc brakes on the front and an 8.25 inch rear end in which converted everything to a 4.5 inch bolt pattern.

Wilwood disc brake kits move the wheels out 3/4" roughly. That mathematically changes the backspacing of your wheel from 4.5 to 3.75".

It depends on which Wilwood kit you installed. Some of them move the front wheels out by as much as 3/4", as moparman pointed out. Some don't change the offset at all. Do you know the part # for the Wilwood kit?

17x8" with 4.5" of backspacing is pushing it to begin with. I know the later A's better than the early one's, but most of the early A's I've seen run 17x7's with ~4.5" backspace. If your wilwood kit moved the front track width out, you probably don't have enough backspace in the front. For a 17x8" I'd guess you'd need more like 5" backspace, and if your wilwood kit moved the wheels you'll need that distance added to it.

Here's a '65 with some 17x8's up front, but he's using a 5.25" backspace up front. Don't know how much his disks move things though...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970473878#post1970473878

Well if he is like me :D likes to make it look good,than fix things,befor it hits the road.A buddy once said why paint the car first,i would built the engine first lol i said if she looks pretty ,well it motivates me,ever get tiered of a project that looks like hell than you down and out.just me.:toothy1:
Me too Sssssssnake.

WHAT?????? should have spent the money on fixing the front end BEFORE buying rims and tires for it .

just what the innocent public needs. yet another old car riding around with a dangerous front end.

Read the second post I made, the car isn't riding around anywhere!

It depends on which Wilwood kit you installed. Some of them move the front wheels out by as much as 3/4", as moparman pointed out. Some don't change the offset at all. Do you know the part # for the Wilwood kit?

17x8" with 4.5" of backspacing is pushing it to begin with. I know the later A's better than the early one's, but most of the early A's I've seen run 17x7's with ~4.5" backspace. If your wilwood kit moved the front track width out, you probably don't have enough backspace in the front. For a 17x8" I'd guess you'd need more like 5" backspace, and if your wilwood kit moved the wheels you'll need that distance added to it.

Here's a '65 with some 17x8's up front, but he's using a 5.25" backspace up front. Don't know how much his disks move things though...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970473878#post1970473878

The Wilwood kit is part#140-11022-DR. It says it "narrows" the track by -.08.

DJVCUDA has
Front

Wheel Brand Coys
Size 17x7
Backspacing 4.25
tire size 225/50/17
Suspension mods big bolt from 74 dart sport

Rear

Wheel Brand coys
Size 17x7
Backspacing 4.25
tire size 255/45/17
Suspension mod ss springs and poly bushings

The Wilwood kit is part#140-11022-DR. It says it "narrows" the track by -.08.

DJVCUDA has
Front

Wheel Brand Coys
Size 17x7
Backspacing 4.25
tire size 225/50/17
Suspension mods big bolt from 74 dart sport

Rear

Wheel Brand coys
Size 17x7
Backspacing 4.25
tire size 255/45/17
Suspension mod ss springs and poly bushings

Well, based on that info I would say they should probably fit. The later 73+ BBP disks actually widen the track of the drum cars slightly, and since you're still using drum spindles with the wilwood kit that should give you the extra .08" in addition to not having the added width of the 73+ brakes. With 225's in the front your wheels should basically end up in the same place as DJVCUDA. In the back, with 225's vs 255's, you'll have room all the way around.

Sounds like you should rebuild the front end and have it aligned.

Thanks 72blunblu. Oh, and I did put 255's in the rear. They fit perfectly.

-
Back