tire lean

-

z_daddy

z_daddy
Reaction score
I have a 68 ply val that i converterd over to disc brk , doner car was a 73 duster , got it all done but the left front tire leans in at the top ( new ball joints was used )changed aA arms too. keep the lower ball joint that came w car ( 73) funny thing if you go backwards it straightens out ?? what can be wrong ? help help :[

Did you have it aligned after you got through? If the tire leans in toward the car at the top as viewed from the front, that's called negative camber. The spec is probably somewhere around -.25 degrees to +.25 degrees. ......or at least that's where I would recommend it. If it's obvious to the nekkid eye, it's probably out of spec. As Scott says, the bushings would be a good place to look for trouble, but if you have not had it aligned since working on it, that's the first thing I'd check. If it has bad parts, your alignment man will tell you.

yea as SS said get it aligned...

and if you want to make it easy on the guy jack up the front end, put the front adjuster all the way out(away from the engine) and the rear adjuster bolt all the way in(twords the motor)

this will give you max caster and as close to 0* as it gets... then he can just back off the rear until its in he green...

Did you have the front in the air just before you looked at it? I always have to roll my car back and forth to get the front to settle after jacking it.

Did you have it aligned after you got through? If the tire leans in toward the car at the top as viewed from the front, that's called negative camber. The spec is probably somewhere around -.25 degrees to +.25 degrees. ......or at least that's where I would recommend it. If it's obvious to the nekkid eye, it's probably out of spec. As Scott says, the bushings would be a good place to look for trouble, but if you have not had it aligned since working on it, that's the first thing I'd check. If it has bad parts, your alignment man will tell you.
ok I replaced the upper ball joints , used a shim fo the controll arm didnt change them . got this from the diff doc. also didnt have this problem when the drum brk was on car . there is some play in the lower bj , I plan to change it out , but dont want to spend the cash untill i find out whats wrong first . what can be the issue ???? why does it lean now since it didnt lean before and by the way the brum brk sys spindal needed new lowers bj to that why i converted to disc , my son said when i back up the wheel doesnt lean!!!!! need help thanks

from what I gather the lower ball joints are a little shot, and when you back up the weight starts to distribute to the rear tires making it lean less, see what it does when you go forward. if it leans def new balljoints, sounds like your camber is out, that'll cause some wear in the tire if too much is there

How good were the threads in the UCA?Maybe the BJ is skipping up/down over the threads?I had to tac-weld a BJ in place once due to bad threads.Just a thought..

Have you had the car on an alignment machine yet?

No I haven't < but if I didn't change anything why should it need to be aligned? tire was not leaning with the 9" drums so why would it lean now? also why just the left wheel? ( I changed the lower ball joint , but same problem! ) also why is there no lean when backing up ? now if the lower control bushing is bad could this be my problem ?
can anyone tell me why changing over to disc ft brk will change the align and cause the left wheel to lean inwards? remmber I have the stock upper control arms with small ball joint bought inserts from diff doc that allows the small ball joint to be used , it goes over the ball joint shaft andfits the bigger hole for the spindal its a (shim ) and it works cause the right was leaning too !!! I didn't realise the ball joint where differant at the time . so need help asap any other indes???

from what I gather the lower ball joints are a little shot, and when you back up the weight starts to distribute to the rear tires making it lean less, see what it does when you go forward. if it leans def new balljoints, sounds like your camber is out, that'll cause some wear in the tire if too much is there

Thanks for the help, I'm going to change the lower ball joint first since its rather easy to do , but can you tell me why the tire didn't lean with the old drum brake n spindales ( 9" brks)

Question, do you think its worth the trouble I'm going threw just to have disc ft brakes ?

I feel like just putting the drum brakes back on , they are in good cond only problem for me was the 4" bolt pattern and dont want to use wheel adaps , and allready bought wheels 4.5 bolt pattern .

I don't have a crystal ball. That's why I and others have recommended to take it to an alignment shop. Obviously, you're lost with it. It happens. That's why I recommended a good alignment shop. WIthout taking it in and letting a professional look at it, you may keep chasing your tail.

No I haven't < but if I didn't change anything why should it need to be aligned? tire was not leaning with the 9" drums so why would it lean now? also why just the left wheel? ( I changed the lower ball joint , but same problem! ) also why is there no lean when backing up ? now if the lower control bushing is bad could this be my problem ?
can anyone tell me why changing over to disc ft brk will change the align and cause the left wheel to lean inwards? remmber I have the stock upper control arms with small ball joint bought inserts from diff doc that allows the small ball joint to be used , it goes over the ball joint shaft andfits the bigger hole for the spindal its a (shim ) and it works cause the right was leaning too !!! I didn't realise the ball joint where differant at the time . so need help asap any other indes???

.........but can you tell me why the tire didn't lean with the old drum brake n spindales ( 9" brks)

Nobody can tell you for sure because they're not standin there lookin at the car. If it gets straight when backing up that means something is moving around. Sounds like maybe some bad bushings. But without bein there, nobody in the world can diagnose it online. Nobody. If somebody gets it right online it'll be sheer luck. We're trying our damndest to help you here, but you are gonna have to do some WORK and diagnose it. Have you jacked it up and looked and pried on the bushings with a long prybar to see if you get movement? I'm guessin since you're still askin pointless questions, that the answer there is no. We can't climb through the computer and do it for you. ...and you're not close enough to me or I'd ride over and give you a hand....so you're getting the best we can do. You're gonna have to take it from here.

-
Back