tire leaning in at the top

-

mac daddy mopar

Reaction score
Would that be the upper or lower ball joint? or something else? thanks in advance.

Mark

Realistically, we could use more info. Is it one wheel or both? If the car is road-worthy, does it pull to one side, make any strange noises (clunking, etc), wobble etc? Did this happen all of a sudden, or has it always been that way and you just noticed? (check tire wear if its a driver).

If it's both sides equally, I'd suspect sagging torsion bars or wiped out control arm bushings. If its one side only, check for a loose upper control arm, bad/missing bushings, or maybe a bad ball joint. The upper control arm is what controls the camber, if the car is sitting relatively level then your problem is likely there. Wheel bearings are pretty unlikely, for it to be that noticeable at the tire your wheel would have to be falling off.

If the car isn't sitting level, you could have a backed out torsion bar adjuster. Typically the wheel gains a little negative camber (tire tipped in at the top) as the front end is lowered.

It probably just needs an alignment. It's natural for the tires to want to go to negative camber over time. The weight of the car pushes them there. You may not have any bad parts at all. Also, sometimes, depending on how and where it's parked, often times, just looking at the front tires can be deceiving. Make sure it's on flat level ground before makin a judgement call. Better yet, if you're really worried about it, get it on an alignment machine.

It's the lower ball joint that catches majority of the stress in turns. When they wear the bottom of the tire moves out. Can make the top look leaned in. Alignment will correct it only if the parts are still within tolerence.

Realistically, we could use more info. Is it one wheel or both? If the car is road-worthy, does it pull to one side, make any strange noises (clunking, etc), wobble etc? Did this happen all of a sudden, or has it always been that way and you just noticed? (check tire wear if its a driver).

If it's both sides equally, I'd suspect sagging torsion bars or wiped out control arm bushings. If its one side only, check for a loose upper control arm, bad/missing bushings, or maybe a bad ball joint. The upper control arm is what controls the camber, if the car is sitting relatively level then your problem is likely there. Wheel bearings are pretty unlikely, for it to be that noticeable at the tire your wheel would have to be falling off.

If the car isn't sitting level, you could have a backed out torsion bar adjuster. Typically the wheel gains a little negative camber (tire tipped in at the top) as the front end is lowered.

just the passenger side, I noticed it when I got to work yesterday, the inside of the tire is wearing fast, and the it grabs making turns, my hour drive turned into a hour and a half, on the way home, I'll pull the wheel and have a look, thanks all.

Mark

-
Back