Tire Position Problems

-

RichardJ916

Reaction score
I would like to know what you would do in this case......
I will show you the 4 pictures of my tires, The distance between the 2 rear tires are different for the drivers side and the passanger side.
When I make a right turn, the back of the tire on the Passanger tire rubs the back of the wheel well.

Tire Size are P275/R60-15....

So what could be done to fix this trouble....

If un-clear please ask and I will try and explan more

Remember it only happens when i turn Right.....

Photo Name
1: Front of Tire on Drivers Side
2: Rear of Tire on Drivers Side
3: Rear of Tire Passanger Side
4: Rear of Tire Drivers Side

Number 3 Picture is the one Rubbing when turning.....

Its because the wheel is rubbing the bottom of the openning.....

Thanks

Attachments

• Drivers Side Front of Tire.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 382
  • Drivers Side Reaf of Tire.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 385
  • Passanger Side Behind Tire.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 376
  • Passanger Side Front of Tire.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 375
You can search for other threads here about rear axle stagger or just measure for yourself. Factory driveline engineering at play.
If the car was up on a lift you could find the answers with a couple of strings and a framing square.

Yes I have seen others talking about the Axle beeing offset. But with that beeing said, do you think finding the answer to how to move it forward about 1/4 - 1/2 would be easy to do or buying a smaller tire would be the better choice. Like a P265 or a P255 would do the trick also.....

Smaller tires is one solution and easiest answer.
If you did move the right rear forward a 1/4 inch you would need to move the left equally to keep it correct. To move only one side screws alignment/tracking and shortens the life of the U joints.

I understand what you are saying about having to more both equally, With me in the car by myslef it doesnt seem to be a problem, only when i have one the one person like 2, on right hand turns it rubs the back of the opening on the passanger side.

The rear must but be square because it doesnt have a tracking trouble and the tires are wareing ok from what i can tell. The rear is driving straight, had someone travel behide and tells me all looks good.

Yep the rear is nearly square to the driveline. Ever noticed the trans tunnel, engine and everything else is shifted also ?

Yes read on that a lot also... Mopar at it's best....
Maybe a small tire is the best answer, and sell the P275/R60-15 for a good price.
P265 or P255 seem like the way to go ha?

One more option is to lower the rear of the car. There is a fine line between hitting the ends of the opening and hitting the top of the arch on both sides though.
Smaller tires still easiest answer.

The angle of the shackles are now at about 4-5 o-clock now. I quess I could place a spacer under the ubolts to lower even more ha? Or how else to lower rear end>

Flip the front spring hangers ? That will require egging out some bolt holes.
Your pics don't show how close the tire is to the arch. you could seriously wrinkle the quarters if not careful.

The springs have been moved in 3" from a kit that was installed. I think there have been welded into place... Maybe all said and done i sould just repalce the tires and be done with it...
The tires are inside of the whell well so hitting the top sould not be a problem. But I understand about damaging the Quarters.

The usual cause is the front spring mounts are welded in wrong from the factory. I have been telling this to many on here but no one seems to believe this.

Measure the location of the mounts and shim the forward side back that distance you need using a plate with 4 holes.

I have seen them off up to 5/8 inch. Mine on my Duster were 1/2 inch off. Passenger side forward. I had to install longer studs on the spring perch to install a 1/2 inch aluminum plate.

This will also make it launch crooked. And want to turn when spinning the tires with it off like this. Tire wear will also be increased.

A-bodies were noted for this and the main cause for axle and diff. failure.

I have showed many members that came here how far off they can be on a 340 car I have on a rotisserie. Maybe they will chime in to confirm their findings. This is a major problem on all a-bodies. Some just don't care and don't ever fix it correctly.

If you get a 4 wheel alignment the shop will adjust the front to conform with the rear. they will also tell you that you need offset bushings to put the from at the correct distance from the rear wheels. When in fact it is your rear mounts on the body that are off.

Some guys mini tub their cars using the existing perch for placement of their new spring pockets. This will totally screw up a car once they are welded in. Always square the diff. in the car before making any permanent mounts.

My Duster was so bad on a launch that the car seamed like it was only pulling with one wheel. It had a spool so I new I had other problems.. Having parts on hand I tried springs, Housings , axles thinking the were flexing. I was glad to find the problem before mini tubbing the car.

Since then I have been checking every a-body that I get on the lift. I found two that were perfect so far. They were both 4 spd. cars with boxes. I come to find that you can look under the car and visually see the difference by comparing the mount and the hole on the frame just in front of it from left side to right side .

Hope you find your problem Steve. If you need assistance you can PM me for my number. Steve

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 382
  • 6.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 354
  • 7.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 336
I really never noticed it when i got the car, it had a smaller tire on it. p50 series, when i replaced the tires with the P275/R60-15 is when i noticed the difference. So will I have to take the car to a frame shop to get it fixed the right way, or can a normal person fix the troubles now.

Yes you can fix it it is easy. Just measure and shim The rear back using a spacer in front of the leaf spring perch.

The passanger side needs to move forward to clean the back side of the wheel well. The drivers side is ok. Only the pasanger side is the problem...

Passanger side...

Attachments

• Passanger Side Behind Tire.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Passanger Side Front of Tire.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 342
-
Back