Tire size for easy steering

-

808-dartGT

Reaction score
Gentlemen with no PS, did anyone notice or chose tire size for easier steering? If you did, share the size, i drove V8 B body with manual steering and I swear it was easier to turn on low speeds than my dart /6!

I have 215 70R 14

67 Dart 273

Standard steering gear

No issues

Caster and scrub radius plays a huge roll with steering effort.

The narrower of a tire tread and the taller the tire will also help. Higher Tire pressure also helps.
Syleng1

I was gonna suggest a roller bearing idler arm, but I couldn't find one for an a-body earlier than 67.
I've got a manual steering 440 rr with stock large diameter steering wheel, use 235-70x15, steers okay, 440 savoy with a smaller steering wheel, using 185 60x15s, primarily for the short height, also livable.
And agree with 273, see what you can do with an alignment.

As eluded to in post #4, the contact patch plays a big role. The bigger the contact patch, the wider the scrub radius and that as well as caster has an effect on steering difficulty at slow speeds and parked. I also agree that the 215 70 14 is a great compromise. The key is though, if you have girly arms to get the car rolling first and then turn.

How easy does it need to steer?

I mean, I run 275/35/18’s up front, with +6.5° of caster, and 16:1 manual steering. Been running the car like that for years, daily driving it most of the year.

Is it easy to parallel park? No, not at all, but I’ve done it. I get groceries and run errands in it every week, so it sees plenty of parking lots.

I will say that a roller bearing idler makes a pretty big difference, you can get one of those from @BergmanAutoCraft for most models. That made a very noticeable difference.

Beyond that, make sure your alignment is set correctly, you’re running the appropriate amount of air in your tires, and all of your bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends etc are in good condition and free of any binding.

I will say that a roller bearing idler makes a pretty big difference, you can get one of those from @BergmanAutoCraft for most models. That made a very noticeable difference.
Does it really? I was gonna ask that. It's unfortunate I've not seen anyone that makes one for the early A.

Does it really? I was gonna ask that. It's unfortunate I've not seen anyone that makes one for the early A.

Yes, it was an easily noticeable reduction in steering effort across the board. It's especially noticeable on a change of direction, it's completely smooth where before I'd feel a spike in resistance as the direction is changed and then a drop off again once established going the other way.

Now, could it have been there was too much resistance coming from my idler and not everyone would see a such a noticeable difference? Sure. But I didn't do anything outside of the factory install on the old idler, so, I'm sure there are plenty of cars out there that would see as much of an improvement.

205 70 14 all the way around my 67 Coronet, manual steering, manual brakes.

I could parallel park that car with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

Well, I'm going to change my '69 Dart next year from manual to power steering.
After 2 major shoulder injuries, (one on each side) I tried to drive the car and enjoy it as is, but it's a pain to drive.(literally)
I have driven manual steering cars off and on all of my life including a '69 Super Bee and a '69 Coronet R/T with manual steering and it always sucked.
My vote is to change the car to power steering and never look back.
Forget all of the people who think it's ''manly'' to drive a manual steering car...

Well, I'm going to change my '69 Dart next year from manual to power steering.
After 2 major shoulder injuries, (one on each side) I tried to drive the car and enjoy it as is, but it's a pain to drive.(literally)
I have driven manual steering cars off and on all of my life including a '69 Super Bee and a '69 Coronet R/T with manual steering and it always sucked.
My vote is to change the car to power steering and never look back.
Forget all of the people who think it's ''manly'' to drive a manual steering car...

Nothing wrong with that man. I like the manual steering on my car, but there's a decent chance I'll install an EPAS unit under the dash and add a steering quickener at some point. I certainly don't run the manual steering to feel "manly", I just enjoy the heavier steering feel.

Same reason I drive my car all the time and don't worry about it being dirty or oily or putting a bunch of miles on it. For me it's about enjoying the car, not trying to get attention or an ego boost out of it.

As eluded to in post #4, the contact patch plays a big role. The bigger the contact patch, the wider the scrub radius and that as well as caster has an effect on steering difficulty at slow speeds and parked. I also agree that the 215 70 14 is a great compromise. The key is though, if you have girly arms to get the car rolling first and then turn.
Small parking lots suck, especially when I hold my coffee in one hand. Never thought I had girly hands, but maybe ?

I have an Early A-Body w/ a V-8 and 225/60R14's on the front... I drive it with One Hand usually. Backing out of the Garage, Making Left Turns, No Problem.
Parallel Parking in the City tho, I'll grab a handful with both hands to get it into a spot.

rf.jpg

if you don't want to spend on idler bearing conversion
there is a chance one of these will fit
dunno if it does but there is a chance

gets you to a position where idle arm movement is not restricted by the bush being bonded to inner and outer shells

which is half way there

NOLATHANE 41012 STEERING IDLER ARM BUSHES SUITS CHRYSLER VALIANT VC VE VF VG VH - HS Autoparts

dimensions here to help you to see if it will fit

https://www.repco.co.nz/parts-servi...t-steering-idler-bushing-kit-41012/p/A1044628

you could of course use a piece of Delrin and make a 2 piece one (top hat bushes) if you have access to a lathe and are willing to polish up the shell and inner of the rubber one you have

Dave

Last edited:
if you don't want to spend on idler bearing conversion
there is a chance one of these will fit
dunno if it does but there is a chance

gets you to a position where idle arm movement is not restricted by the bush being bonded to inner and outer shells

which is half way there

NOLATHANE 41012 STEERING IDLER ARM BUSHES SUITS CHRYSLER VALIANT VC VE VF VG VH - HS Autoparts

dimensions here to help you to see if it will fit

https://www.repco.co.nz/parts-servi...t-steering-idler-bushing-kit-41012/p/A1044628

you could of course use a piece of Delrin and make a 2 piece one (top hat bushes) if you have access to a lathe and are willing to polish up the shell and inner of the rubber one you have

Dave

Yeah I’ve contacted them and there’s no way to get them in the US. At least as of a year or so ago. They won’t ship them and there aren’t any US based retailers for it.

Firm Feel sells a kit to put roller bearings in an early A idler arm. I haven't tried it but it's on my winter project list.

-
Back