Tire size for fender well headers??

-

Baghdad Dart

Reaction score
Hey guys, as every one knows by now we are building a 440 dart. I have seen a few times where the talk has said that their tires hit the fenderwell headers witha big block. What size wheels and tires are best to avoid this problem? I told him today maybe going with a 14 inch front and maybe thinner tires up front ant 15 in the back?? Any help here? We sure dont want to beat up our headers and dont want the public to hear them rubbing when he is trying to impress the girls.

Jeff

It`s been many years since I had a big block A-body with fenderwell headers but I remember having issues with the E-70/14`s that were on the car. Going in a straight line was never an issue but even on slight turns they would rub. I can say on my car I would have had to go smaller than E-70/14`s to prevent rubbing but each car/headers will have to be looked at on an individual basis. Let us know what you come up with.

I have 15x4 inch rims with vintage 5.60-15 bias ply tires, fit awesome! :cheers:

Keith, is that with a 440 too? Would the 440 be just too heavy for a set of skinny tires like that?

Jeff

Micky Thompson skinnys had 28"x7.5 x15's and they hit on turns plus the 4 ply on the street worried me
Now I have Mickys 26"x 7.5 x 15's and went 8 ply for safty, no problems with hitting headers except on a tight left turn with my friend(300lbs) in the car..

Ply Rating:8Tire Overall Diameter:26''Tire Tread Width:4.8''Tire Section Width:6.3''Wheel Diameter:15''Approved Wheel Width:3.5'' - 4'' - 6.5''Tire Weight:19.0 lbs

Tim

I for one have a BB a body with fenderwell headers & Wait pause for a moment and breathe deep.....................

After many days of staying up all night looking calculated and searching tire & rim sizes, i managed to find a the right tire/ wheel combo

my front tires are 8" wide and they clear the 2" fenderwell headers @ full lock of the wheel turning both left & right

Now will i post pics or tell you anything, NO

I for one have a BB a body with fenderwell headers & Wait pause for a moment and breathe deep.....................

After many days of staying up all night looking calculated and searching tire & rim sizes, i managed to find a the right tire/ wheel combo

my front tires are 8" wide and they clear the 2" fenderwell headers @ full lock of the wheel turning both left & right

Now will i post pics or tell you anything, NO

Hint: Pick a set of rims with deep backspace & 14" 15" & 16" are the only rim sizes that will work.

Also my motor is in stock location.

seriously im not giving up serious info unless someone pays.

Thanks for the good information RPM...keep it .... keep it to yourself...not a jk

Jeff

Ply Rating:8Tire Overall Diameter:26''Tire Tread Width:4.8''Tire Section Width:6.3''Wheel Diameter:15''Approved Wheel Width:3.5'' - 4'' - 6.5''Tire Weight:19.0 lbs

Do you know what the backspace on those wheels is?

tensec340 vbmenu_register("postmenu_405286", true); thanks a lot man...my son and I have been measuring and thinking for about a week on how everything is going to fit...we are running out of time...THANKS

I am running 15X4.5 Cragers with 165/15's with little tire rub. I took off the 15X4 American Torque Thrust Ds in favor of a little wider fron rim. Besides the Cragers look better on a white car.

-
Back