tire size in early A

-

valiantrick

Reaction score
whats the maximum tire size in an early A-body with stock wheelwells and stock lockation springs? is it possible to squize in 26.0x8.5-14 with
10.20 section width ?

With the springs in the stock location no way they would be to wide. The wheel wells are big enough though. I moved my springs in and have a 28" x 9" x 15" tire in the stock wheel well and I couldn't go much bigger. You will have to measure from the spring out to the wheel well then subtract 1.5" so you have a minimum of 3/4" per side that will be your section width. It's not a very big tire. If you are going to do some more serious street driving you might want to move your clearance to 1" per side to account for suspension and tire flex.

Valiant.jpg

I noticed that you can put a taller tire on the early A body car (66 & earlier) than on the 67 & later without fender modifications at the front of the rear fender

My 65 valiant measures like I could get 28" tall tire but the 68 Dart would hit at the front of the rear fender.

Looks like one small advantage to owning the early A body in the area of rear tire diameter.

Anybody have a 28" tire on later A body with out fender modification

I have a m/t slick 15x10.5"x26 on my 65 ragtop , stock location super stock springs . section width is 11.1". bulge to bulge . Nothing trimmed off on the outer wheel wells or molding.
Crager SS wheels 15" I think the space space is 4.5".
8.75 rear end.
Everything fits great ! !

rag 11 inch slick 66 kb.JPG

moved my springs in and I had a b body 8-3/4 narrowed to fit as wide a tire as possible. A 10" tire would be real close to the spring, I have 26x8 bfgs and I will go to 28x9's later. Stroker 402 that looks awesome! Cool that you fit those without moving the springs in.

I mini tubbed mine and moved the springs in to the frame. Stock width A-body rearend. I can email pictures, but they are too large to up load here.

M/T "I" their Part#1578
N50-15
345/50-15 37
on a 10.0 Dragelite
13.0 section width
11.8 of tread
28.0 tire

stroker402 said:
I have a m/t slick 15x10.5"x26 on my 65 ragtop , stock location super stock springs . section width is 11.1". bulge to bulge . Nothing trimmed off on the outer wheel wells or molding.
Crager SS wheels 15" I think the space space is 4.5".
8.75 rear end.
Everything fits great ! !
Man! I can't believe those things fit with the springs in the stock location. The Darts and Valiants must have different width wheel tub or something because there was no way that size tire would have fit my Valiant.

It looks great.

Looks like crager wheels did there home work with the correct back spacing on these new wheels for abodys. these have the 4" bolt pattern. These leafs are super stock also. correct abody rear end. 8 .75
I do have another question for you guys though , these m/t slicks are about half gone and are planning on buying a new set of M/T ET streets>> not the radials though.
Will these E/T's hook on the street ?
The slicks I run now , just do now hook on the street.
I just went thru a set of hoosier slick dot last summer. They spun too. and the rubber is so soft.
Both the hoosiers and the M/T slicks just cheese grate off.
This mopar crate makes some serious power ! ! I would say 450 right out of the crate. It's nowhere near 435hp as they advertised.
I raced a few built chevy 383 strokers >> not a problem for the dart and a built hemi 426 challenger neck and neck.
Guess I have the right comb set up hey?
JOHN
Mopars ROCKS ! !

rag by steps 50KB.JPG

It's very difficult to hook anything on the street with a higher horse power motor. It's is a very poor service for racing. It's dirty, oily, has no rubber on it and usually very course. The course part is why it shreds your tires.
Bottom line it's not the tire it's the surface. When you race someone you will just have to pedal it.

-
Back