Tire size/type ideas?

-

Smileb1g

Reaction score
Currently working on a 71' dart swinger special (slant 6), and I'm lifting the car an inch or two with some new springs, but I was wondering what tires/rims would fit nicely or are recommended? Currently the rims are 14 in and Im pretty sure the tires are 190/70/14! Any advice is appreciated thank you!! :supz:
i1bmo5.jpg

What is your goal/look/use of the car?

Its going to be a cruise car, I want it to have bigger tires/rims than it already has, along with lifting it an inch or two with the springs. Later on adding some new paint and hood scoops along with the exhaust in the earlier post, I was just looking for opinions on what size I should go for after lifting it, and maybe what kind would be good for it.

If you're lowering, bigger wheels and thinner tires look best IMO. Going higher with that older school look I'd go with 15" wheels and 60-70 series tires.

Its going to be a cruise car, I want it to have bigger tires/rims than it already has, along with lifting it an inch or two with the springs. Later on adding some new paint and hood scoops along with the exhaust in the earlier post, I was just looking for opinions on what size I should go for after lifting it, and maybe what kind would be good for it.

Well that really dosn't help much. Do you want the car to handle, or do you just want a nice rake and some cragars and call it a day?

Then I wouldnt raise the back, just go with stock height springs and crank the torsion bars up front down 1" and use 17" rims. Tire size I cant help with but I know 245 is the widest back tire you will fit with no mods.

Then I wouldnt raise the back, just go with stock height springs and crank the torsion bars up front down 1" and use 17" rims. Tire size I cant help with but I know 245 is the widest back tire you will fit with no mods.
I was planning on raising the front and back just an inch or so with new springs, not just the back since thats mainly used for racing and im going for a cruise car look. The big body of the car so low to the ground just looks a little off IMO. I think I might settle with the 15 inch tires, and thank you for the advice!

I was planning on raising the front and back just an inch or so with new springs, not just the back since thats mainly used for racing and im going for a cruise car look. The big body of the car so low to the ground just looks a little off IMO. I think I might settle with the 15 inch tires, and thank you for the advice!

It can be done and look well, look in the members restorations for a car built by user johnparts, his build is fantastic. A wise choice on 15's, its a cheaper route and you can have modest handling. Check into subframe connectors if your car dont have them already. One last bit of advice, raising the car reduces handling abilities so dont go much higher than stock.

And you dont need new springs to raise the front, just so you know.

Do you recommend not raising the front? It just looks abnormally low and sort of cholo style which i don't like, and the springs are pretty much done for so I was planning on getting new ones, but in a previous thread i found springs that would raise it higher an inch or two at the same time, so i figured id go with that and get the 15's! and yes subframe connectors are a must-have for me, I have someone who can weld them on for me!

I suck at eyeballing but it looks like your front is at stock ride height, if it is, eave it there. If its lower I personally wouldnt go any higher than stock which is relatively high IMO. check my car out pictured below if click on the picture it will take you to my photobucket which has more pics of my car, I'm running superstock drag springs out back and stock ride height up front.

BTW, My car is on 14's and has no sway bars or frame connectors. My handling is..... liveable.

One more thing, I cant really ask how much you weigh so I'll say this, uness you are a fellow person of substantial weight, you probably don't wanna run the superstock rear springs. My dad says my car rides to rough like a 3/4 ton truck but I find my suspension firm but not harsh and I have over 100lbs. On dad. When we ride in the dart together it actually rides like a car lol!

You were pointed to Espo springs n things for new rear springs, check out mancini racing for their OEM XHD springs. +2" should set the back of your car where mine is with a softer ride.

One more thing, I cant really ask how much you weigh so I'll say this, uness you are a fellow person of substantial weight, you probably don't wanna run the superstock rear springs. My dad says my car rides to rough like a 3/4 ton truck but I find my suspension firm but not harsh and I have over 100lbs. On dad. When we ride in the dart together it actually rides like a car lol!

You were pointed to Espo springs n things for new rear springs, check out mancini racing for their OEM XHD springs. +2" should set the back of your car where mine is with a softer ride.
Yeah i get what you're saying! I definitely don't have as much weight as anyone who drives a dart unless there are other 18 year old girls driving one, but you are right, I looked at it today because it's been sitting for almost 3 years now, and a rear end like yours would suit my taste nicely. I have someone helping me also, and he did mention that it would reduce handling if I raised it, so thank you for your input and I will check out those springs! Might be silly of me to ask, but what are the bars that are sticking out of the rear end on your car, leaf springs if I am correct?

Looks like to me, your car already has the right stance. I would get some 15 x 7 wheels (ask others for your correct backspacing), and 225/60/15 tires. If you have the right backspacing, they'll fit great, look good, and improve handling without messing up the ride.

I don't think you need to lift your car at all, but I'd get the tires and wheels first.

Ive had the Mancinni XHD and Mopar 002/003 SS springs in my 68, the XHD rode harder, with that said ive removed like 300lbs and the SS springs ride real nice, problem i think most people have is the shackles are binding causing rough ride.

I also have a pr of 002 springs in my swinger, with 1" bars and it rides awesome, not rough at all.

-
Back