Tire Time

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Well, its time to buy 2 rear tires.I like the BFG tires.Next is the size not sure what to get.245 60 15, or 255 60 15, there is plenty of room to stuff under the Duster.If you were to put booth sizes side by side is there much of a difference?, I have done the tire calculator and I know there is some between the two.Thoughts please.:burnout:

Well what's your rear gear ratio?
I've used both sizes.
The 245/60R15 (26.5 inch diameter) Mastercraft's I had were decent at the time I had it (I had 3.21 rears)
My only complaint is that they didn't last that long (BFG was slightly better)

I now have 255/60R15 (27 inch diameter) Cooper Cobra's with 3.55 gears and I love it. So far the verdict is out as these are still brand new, but I think these tires are comparable to BFG's but at a much better price.

If you have a 3.55 rear, I think the 255's are the way to go.

-- 245/60-15 is 26.6" tall and 9.7" wide ----- 255/60-15 is 27" tall and 10" wide. ------ 275/60-15 is 28" tall and 10.8 " wide. -- Here's what 255s look like on My Valiant, with a 8" rim. -- If you have room, go with 255s or 275s, if they'll fit.

Attachments

• No ID.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 460
-- 245/60-15 is 26.6" tall and 9.7" wide ----- 255/60-15 is 27" tall and 10" wide. ------ 275/60-15 is 28" tall and 10.8 " wide. -- Here's what 255s look like on My Valiant, with a 8" rim. -- If you have room, go with 255s or 275s, if they'll fit.

Nice Lookin Valiant!

Yes Dusters (and Demon/Dart Sports) can fit a 28 inch tire, BUT you have to pay attention to the backspacing.

For example my rear 8 inch wide rims have 3.75 inch backspace. If I decided to install a 275/60R15 tire it will rub on the inner portion of the rear quarters unless I get a wheel with a bigger backspace but not to the point where it hits the rear leaf springs... It can be a delicate balance with bigger tires, fronts are even worse.

P255 60 R15 on 15X8 wheels

ete20128.jpg

ete20129.jpg

Here's a better look, at a 255/60-15, on a 8" Weld Wheel. -- This picture, and the previous one are with SS springs.

Attachments

• Other Wheels - 7.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 483
only you know what you will like.
...there are so many different opinions on wheels / tires
check out the wheel / tire size thread

Snake, I have 245-60-15 BFG on my 74 Duster fits really nice. You should measure back space on the rim

255 60 15 Cooper Cobra is what I have on my Dart Sport which is a Duster with a name change, I have no complaints BUT make sure your leaf springs are not sagging too much. Six ply springs are not too heavy. 8'' rims for sure, 4 1/2 backspace if I remember correctly.

BFG is slowly discontinuing the Radial TA. I run them in a P295/50R15 on my car and the last set lasted two full years. I burn the hell out of them and they never wear out. That is the big plus. The downside is they don't hook up well and weigh a ton more than the Nitto NT555R I am going to this spring. I hate giving up the raised white letters, but I want traction this time around. All in all I have been running the BFG Radial TA for four years and have been very happy with them.

Thankssssssssss a bunch guys i have 4 1/2 back space however I dont know if it makes a difference or not 15x7 is the rim.

Thankssssssssss a bunch guys i have 4 1/2 back space however I dont know if it makes a difference or not 15x7 is the rim.

15 X 7'' rim is not the best for a 265 but doable, 8'' would be better for the tire itself. Just as a substitute, 225 70 15 has the same height as the 255 60 15 but the width would be different and would be better suited for a posi rear end, this would be different if you have big HP.

Well what's your rear gear ratio?
I've used both sizes.
The 245/60R15 (26.5 inch diameter) Mastercraft's I had were decent at the time I had it (I had 3.21 rears)
My only complaint is that they didn't last that long (BFG was slightly better)

I now have 255/60R15 (27 inch diameter) Cooper Cobra's with 3.55 gears and I love it. So far the verdict is out as these are still brand new, but I think these tires are comparable to BFG's but at a much better price.

If you have a 3.55 rear, I think the 255's are the way to go.

Rear gear for now is 276 ,peg leg I hope to get 321 or 355 some day.

You see I am going with the BFG ,the Car came with 5 Brand new BFG but there 205 60 14,I like the 15 inch rim to I plan on keeping the 205 60 14 for the front so save on money.The 205 60 14 are way to small for the rear,in my mind.

Attachments

• 571.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 410
Wow some of you guys never learn or read apparently , First BFG sold the TA molds to Cooper years ago , second Cooper also makes the Cobras and a couple of generic store brand tires that all have the exact same compound as the TA so if you think your getting a better tire buying Cobras over TA's your delusional , Go for the Nitto's Snake they are a drag radial with the benefit of a highway rating and a wet weather , they wear good { I've driven mine to Moparfest twice now and they still have at least half their life left } and even with 520/520 hp/tq I've never lost traction at highway speeds in those wonderful August thunderstorms in Onterrible .

I've had both the Cooper Cobras and Radial T/A's, I have really loved the balance of intended use, traction / wear factor / price, I really have zero complaints at all, they have the style / look that I want, which is important to me. The balance of traction and wear is excellent, I have no idea but they both seem to be made of a similar compound. I'll continue buying them as long as they make them even if it means I don't get a big price break over the Nitto's. They hold up very well to multiple burnouts.

Wow some of you guys never learn or read apparently , First BFG sold the TA molds to Cooper years ago , second Cooper also makes the Cobras and a couple of generic store brand tires that all have the exact same compound as the TA so if you think your getting a better tire buying Cobras over TA's your delusional...

According to this that's more reason to buy the Cooper's as they're cheaper... About an average of $35-$40 cheaper per tire.

If I'm getting the same thing for cheaper why complain? I'm certainly not.

I heard BFG selling molds to Coker, never heard them selling it to Cooper... I'll have to research this.

**EDIT** at 10:27pm: There is no report of BFG "giving" the molds to Cooper... Cooper is still American, BFG is now and has been owned by the French (Michelin)since 1988. There is no relation between the companies... Sorry.

Don't forget, like the pic of the car with no engine, when there is no motor in the car not only does the front come up but so does the back, although not as much as the front. Same goes for jacked up rears, the front comes up too.
I love my 255 60 15 Cooper Cobras.

According to this that's more reason to buy the Cooper's as they're cheaper... About an average of $35-$40 cheaper per tire.

If I'm getting the same thing for cheaper why complain? I'm certainly not.

I heard BFG selling molds to Coker, never heard them selling it to Cooper... I'll have to research this.

**EDIT** at 10:27pm: There is no report of BFG "giving" the molds to Cooper... Cooper is still American, BFG is now and has been owned by the French (Michelin)since 1988. There is no relation between the companies... Sorry.

I meant Coker not Cooper sorry my bad ,but according to my tire guy here he gets the Cobra GT's and the BFG TA's from the same factory as I stated and both are made in America but there is as I stated no difference in the compounds at least according to the Big O Tires outlet here .But more to the OP's question there is no reason to run such garbage compound tires on a car you only drive occasionally 4 months of the year in clear dry weather , Heck if I didn't drive mine year round and cross country in the rain I would buy the Mickey Thompsons .

PS Coker also makes Michelin and Firestone branded tires as well as a couple of dozen other brand names you may or may not recognize like US Rubber

-
Back