tired of the wet carpet

-

steveh

Reaction score
Looking to buy two complete sets of fresh air duct gaskets. One set for a 69 dart and one set for a 67 barracuda. Couple quick questions before I order them from DMT...

Interchangability:
1) are driver side and passenger side gaskets the same?

2) does the DMT gaskets work for both 67-69 darts and barracudas?

Prep:
1) Any tips for cleaning out the cowl space...was gonna use air to blow it out

2) Should I use a bead of weatherstrip type adhesive to seal it?

Many thanks
Steve

67 up all the same.
The left and right vent box gaskets are totally different. The right side is a 3/4 inch square profile foam ring. It has peel and stick adhesive on it but its worthless. It will peel off the foam easier than its paper backing peels off.
The lft side uses a 1/4 thick sheet material.
Use 3M adhesive on both of them.
That one srew in the left vent box that you cant see is slotted throught the box. No need to take that nut all the way off, just loosen it until the box will come off. Once you can see it back it down as far as possible so the new seal with adhesive will go in easy.

Steve,
You are pretty sure the water is from the fresh air duct, and not the wiper seals, right?
You did not say whether you have a/c or not. On my '72 Duster with a/c those seals were different between right & left sides.
I also used the DMT gasket set and was real happy with the products. I cannot help with the interchangability though. I did not use any adhesive when I installed mine.
I think you could be all day trying to blow the cowl area out. The junk has very limited places to go and you would probably just be blowing it back and forth a lot. My Duster had a small drain slot that you could try a coat hanger in. Also, when you remove the vent box, you can reach up in there and get the big stuff out. Or, get up to cruising speed and open the door...
C

thx gents.

I thought I had read somewhere that the left and right sides were different. thanks for the confirmation. already replaced the pivot seals and the water is flowing in through the vent boxes.

appreciate the assist.

The thing about those gaskets and water coming in through the vent boxes is that the cowl has to be filling up with water to the height above the raised lip or through the seam where the lip is...or a rusted out area. You may change them and end up having the same problem.

Make sure you have cleaned out your drains on both sides and when you drop the boxes clean out as much crap as you can. I reached up there with my hand and also rigged up a small flexible hose on my shop vac.

Here is a pic that may help. I borrowed it from another post. You can see how the water has to rise all the way up above the lip or get in through the seam. The gasket for the air box really doesn't keep water out.

Attachments

• cowl.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 161
ok, many thanks will try the shopvac idea that's a good one. As for rust, the passenger side hole feels pretty solid...don't know about the driver side which leaks the most.

Just to be sure there are no pinholes, I was gonna coat the ring with seam sealer or some type of tar just to be sure. Anyone else have any ideas. figured this would be the easiest fix.

-
Back