tired PC?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
I broke out an old laptop that had Win98 on it. 600MHz screamer with 512MB ram. barely enough for WinXP, not enough for Vista or 7. As I didnt have an XP disk, I looked into Linux, dabbled in it a few years ago and remembered a very small distro (distribution) called Puppy. A very lightweight operating system designed to be run off a USB flashdrive or a CD. You dont even need a hard drive as it can reside in RAM memory. I used this on a test rig out in the field once at a remote headend of a cable plant. Anyway, the newest is called 5.0.1 and it is absolutly cool! I burned the 150MB boot disk off the internet for free (as they all are) and popped it in, booted and in a matter of about 4 minutes i was ONLINE, not just booted up, but actually surfing the net! Try that with a windows disk and no hard drive! Anyway, just thought anyone that had OLD hardware sitting around that might need a garage rig or a spare for the kids could be able to use this. I also tried Ubuntu and Xubuntu but they were much larger, couldnt find my screen resolution or LAN hardware and were just too complicated. So Puppy came to my rescue. Now I have a Mopar computer, all my websites, forums and Emails, and I can take it into the garage and rest it on my desk, er I mean dryer! Just look up Puppy Linux.

DSL is a good small distro as well, (Damn Small Linux) There is also slax that is based on slackware, but it is customizable. Kanotix is a knoppix based distro, and if you have ever dabbled in hac...err modifying, then you may know knoppix well. It is a great network security tool

-
Back