Title a car with no VIN?

-

nateCuda

Reaction score
Hello, I recently bought a 1965 Barracuda parts car for cheap. It's mostly complete and I was going to use the quarter panels and spare tire well from it for another 65 that I am going to turn into a daily driver. Well after looking over the car I can't tear into. It's got really good bones and in pretty good shape and I hate to remove it from the world to scavenge some sheet metal and a few trim parts. The problem is I bought it with a bill of sale only for parts and someone over the years has removed the VIN tag. As I understand it a 1965 doesn't have the VIN stamped anywhere else. It does have a fender tag with a sequence number that matches the radiator support. So my questions are

1. Is there any way to find out what the VIN was from the sequence number?

2. Has anyone in Oregon gone through the process to get a new VIN assigned and obtain a title for a car with no existing VIN? Is this possible? Was the process really painful?

I'd love to save this car and drop a 360 in there to have a fun car to complement the slant six grocery getter sibling. Thank you.

Someone else might have some good advice for you but I would suggest calling DMV and telling them what you said above and ask what needs to be done to get the car registered. Having a signed BOS is a good thing. Here in CA, for some vehicles, they request you bring/tow it in so they can inspect it and they sometimes will issue it a new VIN. Do your homework first. Don't divulge too much info on it until your confident that it can possibly be registered. Also, if you feel good about the initial call(s) to DMV, you may want to go down in person and find a sympathetic ear. If you can get a rep on your side, they can be of great help to you. Good luck.

PS How's that big paper mâché caveman doing in the center of town? ;)

Also remove the good stuff from it in case they confiscate it on the spot when you bring it in.

If you contact Chrysler historical they may have the IBM card for the car. Might be difficult to get without the VIN, but you could ask. You could also look for a broadcast sheet in the car. Both those documents will tie the SO# (what you see on the fender tag) and the VIN.

Thank you for the responses. I'll give the DMV a call and see what I can find out. I know people building rat-rods can get a new vin but I wasn't sure about a mostly stock car. And GTXperience the caveman is all wet. The rain has started a little early this year and it looks like it's not going to let up until spring!

Before you go through all that contact your State Police . If you are straightforward with them , they can be your advocate in obtaining a title . Sometimes they can issue a salvage title and you can obtain a clear title from that . Try not to listen to bureaucrats at your DVM because they sometimes don't know the law and can give you the wrong advise . It is part of the State Police's job to do service like this . Do not take your car to DVM as they may confiscate it on the spot . If your car is on your property they can't take it without due process . In Massachusetts the S.P.'s do this all the time and even issue VIN's , as long as the car isn't stolen . In New Hampshire , and in other states , if a vehicle is 20 years old or older a title isn't necessary but a VIN is . Good luck and don't give up . The odds are on your side .

Starting cutting and get the parts off of it you need.
Without a vin there's no way to tell if it's ever been stolen or what it really is.
Don't contact DMV or police.
I know I wouldn't want to cut up a good 50 year old car but you might lose the whole thing.

I agree with the last post. As a 32 year veteran of Colorado state patrol get ahold of your local office of the state patrol, police and talk with the VIN Inspector. He or she will be able to tell you what the process is or the best way to go about getting done what you want.

DMV will simply tell you the "standard" process to go through without regard for the particular situation. They are a good resource if you want to know the rules but not necessarily the law, because they DO NOT enforce any law simply rules and regulations and primarily by not issuing titles or registration.

Call and talk with a trooper, most of those people are car folks anyway. And yes, if the car was stolen or reported stolen sometime in the past you may very well end up without the car if the rightfull owner can be contacted.

I agree with the last post. As a 32 year veteran of Colorado state patrol get ahold of your local office of the state patrol, police and talk with the VIN Inspector. He or she will be able to tell you what the process is or the best way to go about getting done what you want.

DMV will simply tell you the "standard" process to go through without regard for the particular situation. They are a good resource if you want to know the rules but not necessarily the law, because they DO NOT enforce any law simply rules and regulations and primarily by not issuing titles or registration.

Call and talk with a trooper, most of those people are car folks anyway. And yes, if the car was stolen or reported stolen sometime in the past you may very well end up without the car if the rightfull owner can be contacted.
Find a POS 65 body and sw**ch it over.

OK, I'll talk to the state trooper that does the vin inspections to get a feel for if the car could ever be titled and registered or if it's for parts only. I've actually met him when I moved here from out of state and my 72 Cuda had to have the vin inspected. He was very friendly and a total car guy and was telling me he looked forward to the one day a month he had his own personal car show when inspecting vins. He even told me I should light 'em up and see what that 440 has when I was leaving. But I didn't because it just doesn't feel right power braking in the parking lot of the state department of transportation in front of a trooper (and the engine is kinda tired) :)

With no vin or broadcast sheet and only a sequence number to tie the car to it's former life hopefully it will not be found to be stolen. Thanks guys for the advice!

-
Back