Title issues

-

moparkrazed

Moparkrazed
Reaction score
Hey guys, not sure if this is the correct place to posts this so my apologies. I’ve got an old guy that owns a junk yard that’s willing to sell me a 71 charger but he does not have title for it. I know in South Carolina that will be an issue. Has anyone had experience going through the Vermont loophole. Or any other suggestions?

All I know is that it's illegal to sell a car in Missouri without a title. I wish you the best of luck with it. Also, I don't know how it works where you live but here in Missouri if you buy a car that has a salvage title you can't get full coverage insurance on it as it's already been paid for by a insurance company. Just thought I would mention that

All I know is that it's illegal to sell a car in Missouri without a title. I wish you the best of luck with it. Also, I don't know how it works where you live but here in Missouri if you buy a car that has a salvage title you can't get full coverage insurance on it as it's already been paid for by a insurance company. Just thought I would mention that
In sc you can still get full coverage but it depends on the insurance carrier. But the whole title thing is going to suck. I just went through this on my uncles 1966 Plymouth. He passed away and but I was able to title it in sc with a ga bill of sale. If it hasn’t been titled before the dmv researches the vin and it’s not been titled then sc will give one. But really don’t want to go through all that again. Thanks for the input Dan the man, I appreciate it. :)

I've done the Vermont Loophole twice in the last six weeks. It works as advertised, in Missouri.

Get your police report stating that the vehicle is verified not stolen.
Apply for REGISTRATION only in Vermont.
You'll get a set of license plates from Vermont.
Take your registration (which is proof of ownership in Vermont) to your DMV sand make sure your story is straight.

YMMV. I am not a lawyer. This is not instruction.

I've done the Vermont Loophole twice in the last six weeks. It works as advertised, in Missouri.

Take your registration (which is proof of ownership in Vermont) to your DMV sand make sure your story is straight.

YMMV. I am not a lawyer. This is not instruction. if I had known about that 20 or 30 years ago I'd have a lot more cars around

There's another possibility, perhaps worse. In some states I've been told that once a title has been turned in as turned in by a junk yard, the only way the thing can be re-titled if at all is by having the state re-issue a VIN. this likely requires some sort of bond, and if the VIN is re-issued, it means the collector value, if any is completely destroyed. It will not have a Mopar style VIN, but rather a state unique VIN.
"Or so I've been told." And this surely varies state by state

In sc you can still get full coverage but it depends on the insurance carrier. But the whole title thing is going to suck. I just went through this on my uncles 1966 Plymouth. He passed away and but I was able to title it in sc with a ga bill of sale. If it hasn’t been titled before the dmv researches the vin and it’s not been titled then sc will give one. But really don’t want to go through all that again. Thanks for the input Dan the man, I appreciate it. :)
Your welcome and I wish you good luck with this. Let us know how it goes

@moparkrazed Get the VIN off the Charger and pay a private investigator to run it to see if there are any problems such as stolen or if it has any liens on it. If it comes back clean, then do the Vermont thing. An SC DMV officer may have to come verify the VIN because it will appear that the car came from out of state. It may not be that way in SC, but that's how they do it here in NC. Good luck to you.

You can also see if the dude that owns the junkyard may be able to get a title by doing a storage lien on the car. If he isn't willing, then do the above method.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

YMMV. I am not a lawyer. This is not instruction.
Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback. I’ve never bought a car without a title before and was kinda iffy on this process. I do feel better about it now.

There's another possibility, perhaps worse. In some states I've been told that once a title has been turned in as turned in by a junk yard, the only way the thing can be re-titled if at all is by having the state re-issue a VIN. this likely requires some sort of bond, and if the VIN is re-issued, it means the collector value, if any is completely destroyed. It will not have a Mopar style VIN, but rather a state unique VIN.
You may be correct on that. I’m not concerned with resale to be honest. I’ll restore it but plan on enjoying the car, it definitely won’t be a trailer queen haha. I did run across a video ( I think it was roadkillcustomes or something like that) they were with uncle Tony going through the process. If it works in SC I’ll be pretty happy haha.

Yes I've been told that also. Once junked title is dead.

@moparkrazed Get the VIN off the Charger and pay a private investigator to run it to see if there are any problems such as stolen or if it has any liens on it. If it comes back clean, then do the Vermont thing. An SC DMV officer may have to come verify the VIN because it will appear that the car came from out of state. It may not be that way in SC, but that's how they do it here in NC. Good luck to you.

You can also see if the dude that owns the junkyard may be able to get a title by doing a storage lien on the car. If he isn't willing, then do the above method.

:thumbsup:
Thanks man. I was going to run a vin check on it just to be safe. The old man is super nice, so I’m sure it’s legit but better safe than sorry. He already told me he wasn’t interested in trying to get a title. He just likes having out at his office and talking to people, really cool guy but probably hasn’t left his house/junk yard in the last 10 years haha. Thanks again for your input, i really appreciate it.

Yes I've been told that also. Once junked title is dead.
I think it’s a legit junk yard that may be the case. This guy is an old guy that’s collected cars for years. It’s a junk yard in that sense but not the kind that has a crusher and heavy equipment. He just keeps his cars in the woods so most people don’t even know they are there. I’ve lived here for 20 so years and never knew he had cars back there lol. Legit junk yards here won’t even sell a complete car anymore.

I just did the Vermont thing. They have a different way of calculating the value/sales tax of old cars. So maybe go to one of those DMV assistance businesses. I did. $Cha-ching!$

Man that’s so true. Enough to make you pull your hair out. The often make things way harder than they need to be haha.
I lived in Missouri where I lived for 37 years until 5-6 year ago, all you have to do is walkin the co. tag offic with a bill of sale and a state inspection that just shows the vin and mileage. Thats it.

Texas on the other hand tries to make everything hard and expensive. Here if no title, you go to the office where the trooper in charge of such, he fills out a paper, tells you it snot stolen, he can require it have a motor if an asshole, YOU fill out a few more, then you have to pay a damn used car dealer to "appraise" said car, of which the state pays no attention and give it what value they want, you pay sales tax on THAT, then you have to pay for a bonded, fill out some more paper, send it in to the state office, then a state inspection, they send you some more paper that you take to the local tag office for a friggin title /tag.
$500 plus sales tax and a month and 200 miles later...................................... everyone gets their hand in the pie. :thumbsup:
:BangHead: :poke: :steering: :confederateflag: :thankyou: :realcrazy: :lol:

There is certainly Problems At Both Ends. For those who think no title/ minimal paperwork states are great, review the "stolen 70 Cuda" story, where a shady "car collector" somehow was "sold" this (was) unrestored 70 440-6 Cuda who stripped it bare in an OBVIOUS attempt to hide the identity and eventually get a bonded title for the thing

I just did the Vermont thing. They have a different way of calculating the value/sales tax of old cars. So maybe go to one of those DMV assistance businesses. I did. $Cha-ching!$
Yeah the video I watched with uncle Tony said they use nada not what you paid ( unless what you paid is higher) haha. Definitely different that’s for sure.

I lived in Missouri where I lived for 37 years until 5-6 year ago, all you have to do is walkin the co. tag offic with a bill of sale and a state inspection that just shows the vin and mileage. Thats it.

Texas on the other hand tries to make everything hard and expensive. Here if no title, you go to the office where the trooper in charge of such, he fills out a paper, tells you it snot stolen, he can require it have a motor if an asshole, YOU fill out a few more, then you have to pay a damn used car dealer to "appraise" said car, of which the state pays no attention and give it what value they want, you pay sales tax on THAT, then you have to pay for a bonded, fill out some more paper, send it in to the state office, then a state inspection, they send you some more paper that you take to the local tag office for a friggin title /tag.
$500 plus sales tax and a month and 200 miles later...................................... everyone gets their hand in the pie. :thumbsup:
:BangHead: :poke: :steering: :confederateflag: :thankyou: :realcrazy: :lol:
I'm not sure I read this correctly, but....Missouri has required a title since the dawn of time.

Every time I glance at the this thread title, I see "tittie issues". Hey, a guy can hope.

I'm not sure I read this correctly, but....Missouri has required a title since the dawn of time.
They have. I went to my local dmv and asked them about this and I was told that it's illegal to sell a car without a title. They said that even if you present a bill of sale if someone was to come up with the title who ever has the car has to give it back to the owner. The only exception is if the person who is selling the car can produce registration papers and has applied for a lost title

-
Back